Best Battery Practices....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cyroceon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

What is the best way to make sure to get the longest life out of my battery? I've already calibrated the battery the first time it was charged, and I have run it through a few cycles. But, is it bad to just use it for 1 hour then charge it up, then use it for 2 hours and charge it up, then 1 hour and charge it? If I do all of that, and then calibrate once a month, will that be the best scenario.

What about if I just use it all the way to 10% then charge it again, and when it's done, use it to 10% and charge it again, so and so forth. Either way doesn't bother me, but I want to know the best way to keep the battery as close to new as possible. I have read the Apple documentation about notebook batteries, but nothing this specific is included.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You might want to read Apple's tips for battery care: http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    (notice the macbook link on the right).

...Or was that the documentation you were talking about?

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

keep it plugged in most of the time?
    batteries are ment to be used, use it then.

4. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like the aforementioned said, it is meant to be used.
    You can always buy another one if need be.

5. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I know, maybe I'm just making a big deal for nothing, but because this battery is Lithium Polymer and I don't have experience with that type, I just want to be sure that I'm not doing anything to directly hinder its chances at maintaining capacity for the longest duration possible.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Time is your biggest enemy. Shallow cycling frequently is better than deep cycling occasionally. Use the battery and plug in when you can. Don't worry too much about it.

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

As said, everything I've read basically has the conclusion that whenever you can have it plugged in and charging, do so.

8. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

This is all well and good until something like my situation today comes up. Today I'm home pretty much all day doing work and readings on my notebook. Should I be cycling the battery throughout the day or leave it plugged even if it is 100% charged? That is my primary concern, overcharging.

9. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

WOW! that thing is old. i just went to check out the site because i was interested in this topic and here is what it said.

"Energy: The Energy Saver control panel offers several settings that determine power levels for your PowerBook. "

PowerBook?? when is the last time they updated this thing?

10. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

There should be no problem with leaving it plugged in if you're near an available power source, it won't 'overcharge' and damage your battery. :)

11. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I hope not, but I'm going to do a nice calibration today before I start the first work week with the new MB. So, as of now it is unplugged and I'm going to let it run its course of dying out. Thanks though.

12. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

You're welcome, that sounds like a good plan. I'm sure you'll look after your Macbook excellently. ^^