Best Beach Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AppleBoyFreak, Jun 18, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

On Saturday I'm going on a family vacation to the beach. I've kept my iPhone 4S perfect since launch and will like to keep it that way. I use my iPhone as my main camera so the case must be water proof, sand proof, protective, and the buttons on the side still need to e usable. So any really good and notable cases that you can recommend for the beach? Thanks!

2. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

haha my beach case would be something glittery or vivid, but I would recommend those cases from Lifeproof. This is not the product page, but it says "beachproof"! http://www.lifeproof.com/the-four-proofs/dirt

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Those cases definitely seem like the popular ones. I've been looking into them but because of their prices I wanted to see what other options are out there ya know? Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

5. VinnieTheGuy macrumors newbie

6. Sportcat macrumors member

I had my 4S at the beach last week in a Griffin Survivor and it did just fine.

7. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I just did a week on south padre island, def could have used a case...

8. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

I picked up a lifeproof about a week ago and I couldn't be happier with it.
    I've shot some underwater video that is crystal clear.
    It's well worth the price IMO

9. BrianSoCal macrumors regular

How's the screen? No air pillow and clacking while you type?

10. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

No "pillow" at all... occasionally I get the "tick" when typing, but when compared to how great the other features are it means nothing to me.

Also as a side note: I do not like cases, at all. I go naked when not using the lifeproof, so for me to praise this thing is surprising even to me.

11. silverjam macrumors regular

Otterbox Defender but it is not sand proof. But is very close.

Griffin make a Military style case that you can drive a tank over and I believe it is sand proof.

12. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

It has a pillow effect and also a clacking while typing. I couldn't handle it and returned the case. DO you need waterproof or just something to protect it i.e. the ports from sand? Use something like a ballistic case or otterbox maybe.

13. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

If you're going to just use it once then maybe ziplock bag might be the way to go. Cheap, disposable and waterproof. Lifeproof are great, but they're like $100 a pop.

14. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

If you plan on using it more than once.. I would go for the Lifeproof for sure. I only use mine when at the pool, lake, or fishing.. but it really does come in handy.

I did have a issue with the air bubble or rainbow effect on my screen, however, if you put a very very thin layer of baby powder on the screen it goes away.

I've taken it under water in a pool, dropped it in mud, and much more. I like it for use when I'm doing something other than everyday use. Looks like it might be a good choice for you!

15. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

With all that flabby silicone? Hell no. Sand will get in.

The lifeproof isn't cheap, but waterproofing + maintaining the usability of ports isn't exactly a common feature and would demand a premium.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-...-cases/waterproof-case-for-iphone-uss098.html

^This one, as someone else suggested, seems like it would fit the bill. It's cheaper than the lifeproof because use lose the aforementioned port usability, and it doesn't seem like it would protect very well against drops. Also, it's is only slightly better than a much cheaper ziplock baggy. It is way more secure than the baggy and you'd getter better camera performance, but is that worth 30$? If you vacation a lot, or go near pools, lakes, rivers, etc (or camping) then the lifproof would be hard to beat due to its versatility.

16. tagmisterb macrumors newbie

Buy a used underwater camera like the Canon D10 and leave the iPhone in the hotel.

17. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

There is a lot more that you can do with an iPhone at the beach than just use the camera. ;)

_________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, a Lifeproof doesn't have to cost you $100. For example, they're just over 60$ at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-iPh...=1341973482&sr=8-2&keywords=life+proof+iphone

18. tagmisterb macrumors newbie

...and they all start with "Instead of enjoying the beach, I'm..."

19. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

"Checking the weather to make sure its not gonna rain any time soon (or for how long since you could probably see the clouds coming)." "Going online to check surf conditions." "Call the significant other (or kids or whatever) who may be somewhere else in the area (golfing, massage, shuffle board, the bar, you pick) to see what they want to do for dinner, or to tell them to bring more beer down from the room." "Checking movie times for later that night." "To use as a level while making that architecturally perfect sand castle." "Listening to music (earbuds or docked) while sunbathing (this comes down to personal taste, I know)." Or if you're single you could always use it to exchange numbers with that someone you met out on the beach/bar/hottub/etc.

It is a freaking iPhone. Not a blackberry. It does more than your email. So why wouldn't you want it around just in case you want it? Worst case scenario, you leave it in your bag or on your chair or towel.

PS: Just came from the beach, so coming up with that list was easy and by no means was it exhaustive.

20. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Regarding the Otterbox, that is certainly the truth. It can't even keep pocket lint out, much less sand.

My Griffin Defender is the go to case when I'm at the lake, beach, or anywhere the phone could get splashed or dropped. Yeah, I've got AC+, but I'm not going to be completely careless with my phone.

21. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I also purchased the life proof and can honestly say I didn't trust it. I did the water test and I was fine then I actually installed it on my phone and I felt like the dock connector door came too loose and the case got dirty very easily. And over all the way it felt in my hand I just don't feel like I can trust it under water especially with rough waves. I guess it protected my phone though so it did its job.

22. maliu macrumors 6502a

I've used a Lifeproof case for a year now. Everyday, not just when I think it might get wet. You have to pay attention to it, seals to fail etc. I check mine every day and it has served me well and is still 100% waterproof. I didn't want bulky, was looking for drop and water protection. I don't want to use anything else!

23. silverjam macrumors regular

The silicon is flabby as on the Otterbox for 3GS but tight as a fish's ******* on my 4S. But your right, sand will get in, especially in the headphone and charger ports.

24. Lioncrazz macrumors member

Just had my iPhone 4s at the beach for 5 days and used it for photos, music, to read, and to write a few notes. I love my lifeproof case. It stayed sand free, I did not have to worry about water or moisture damage, and having the lifeproof case gave me such piece of mind.

Definitely recommend having Lifeproof on your phone if you want to use it at the beach.

25. BrianSoCal macrumors regular

Did you take it off after the beach trip or you keep it on 24/7?