iPad mini Best Bezel Color for Reading Books?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ellen, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Ravi_MR macrumors member

Ravi_MR

Still prefer black; I have actually recently started to use Kindle with the green background! But ultimately each person has to test it out themselves to see which bezel they prefer... I do admit white bezels look good in and of themselves and match with the Apple pencil

2. youknome macrumors 6502a

youknome

Ultimately I’d recommend anyone to try out in store and play around with it.

It’s a matter of personal preference really.

3. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

I also tried the green background for a while. I don't know if there's any science behind that, but it feels calming and kind of weird at the same time.

4. Dave Meadows macrumors 68040

Dave Meadows

Does anyone have both Kindle and iPad mini and is so, can the mini compete with the Kindle for reading?

5. Kostas3000 macrumors regular

Go to an apple store in early evening when the eyes are already tired form the use during the day. Open a document in a white bezeled and in a black bezeled iPad mini. You will see that the white bezels do not cause eye fatigue while the black ones do.

I have always had black bezeled iPad because I liked the space gray. His time I went for white bezels / silver frame and my eyes appreciate the decision of my brain

6. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Well I hope the white will work, because if I get a mini, I have to get silver. It’s the color of ALL my Apple things. I would be really disheartened if I had to mess that up. ;-p

7. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

The black border on the screen (between the bezel and the active part of the screen) is going to drive you crazy.

That border isn't visible with the black bezel.

8. ericwn macrumors 68020

I haven’t found any tablet that is as comfortable as an e-reader to my eyes, but as usual it’s also personal preference. I’ve read other posters here who left their Kindles behind for an iPad.
    Also consider battery life, weight, and the possibility of being disrupted while reading.

9. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I’m definitely afraid of that, especially now because if I know it’s there, I won’t be able to unsee it.

10. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I have always preferred a white border. Less reflective in bright light, and it really frames the screen nicely. I guess it doesn’t matter on the new ipad pros...but on the new ipad mini i just got, i ordered it in white.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not think soo_O

Bezel color is a personal preference.

12. m00min macrumors 6502

Every iPad I’ve owned since the original one has had a white bezel. They seem less reflective than the black ones, the black seems much more of a mirror.

13. Kostas3000 macrumors regular

OCD is treatable

14. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

OCD has nothing to do with it.

15. Gav.Winters macrumors member

Black for me. It's somehow less noticeable and looks much better when the screen's off. Not sure how much difference it makes for reading though.

16. newellj macrumors 604

I've had several of both. I prefer black.

17. wmadan macrumors member

I originally purchased a silver mini 5, which comes with the white border. two considerations made me return it for a space grey with black borders: (1) Answering the OPs original question about reading in particular, I have gravitated to reading ebooks on a black background with light text and the mini 5 with black borders makes this reading experience better for me. (2) My iPhone XS and iPad Pro 12.9, being the new designs, have black borders and I wanted all of my devices to match as much as possible.

18. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Okay my pro and XR have black borders, but they are silver aluminum (as is my watch). So which do I match? If I match borders, space gray would be the way to go - if I match device colors, I'd have to go silver, which would give me white bezels.

Decisions, decisions. ;-p

19. voidfire macrumors newbie

voidfire

Indeed it is personal preference. For me, I prefer black bezel.

20. wmadan macrumors member

If you put it in a case, like I have, the shell color won't matter much. That's what I reasoned, even though I have a silver iPhone XS, silver IPP and silver sport watch.