Best Bicycle for $200?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm looking for a decent cruiser for around $200. Today's my 23rd b-day and my parents gave me $200 for a bike. Mainly it'll be for riding to the park and riding to work. I really like the Cruiser handlebars which is why I want this particular type.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

both schwinn and giant have bikes that are only slightly above $200, and i really like the latter brand as i have one of their road bikes, and its great.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would buy a Giant before I buy another Schwinn. Schwinn is no longer made the way they used to be made and it shows. I owned one before I moved into a Specialized.

4. methodmano macrumors member

I really like Trek bikes. I think they have something around $200 too.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't been on a schwinn in a long time so you may very well be right, but i can say that giant is a good brand at least. :)

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Oh my. Just got back from the local bike shop and I do like the Giants. :D

I have a 2008 catalog that I'm browsing through now. Now the only question is do I stick with my Cruiser plan or go for something else? I really love the Simple Single. With my last bike I really hated gear changing. However... it'd be nice on hills.

decisions decisions

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it all depends on the type of riding that you plan on doing and type of road/terrain you're going to be on.

i have the Giant OCR3 from '07. its a great road bike, but i plan on picking up the Bowery this spring for some fixed gear fun.

8. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I guess I should mention I DO live in Kansas :eek: Not necessarily known for hills.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the cruiser would work just fine. the Simple Single is still classified as a cruiser, and looks comfy too!

10. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Trek bikes do indeed rule! (Just check out my profile picture) Sadly, the cheapest mountain bike is in the $300-350 range. But if you buy one, it will last you a long time.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/3_series/3700/

Good luck and tell us what you decided on.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I bought a Giant a few years ago and it has been a great bike for the price. I totally recommend.

12. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Maybe this will influence your decision:

Trek is an American company (many of the bikes are built in Waterloo, Wisconsin)

while

Giant is a Taiwanese company and none are built in the great U.S.A.

If it is a toss up, I'd support the American manufacturer and join the Trek family. :)

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see the point in this really? hes not even looking for a mountain bike, but a cruiser, of which trek isn't all that known for. they do make pretty decent mountain bikes, i agree.

14. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Most definitely! They had one at the bike shop I went to. It took most of my will power to not buy it right then. Since it is about $50 more than my budget I will have to wait for my tax refund before I have the at hand cash. But it is a nice machine.

There's only one hill between work and my apt, and it's only downhill in the morning so I think I could get to work on time.

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have a schwinn that was like $650 and it has gear shifting issues. I believe the shifting instruments are shimano but don't quote me on that? It's probably 4 years old with very very low miles.... I haven't ridden it in a while.

16. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Don't get a cruiser, get a mountain bike dude.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depending on how steep it is, you should be just fine. the gear ratio looks pretty easy to handle on it. i'll have my gf take a look at the specs when she has a chance she knows components better than i do, but from what i can see it looks pretty good.

if you want more opinions i'd say ask over at bikeforums.net, very knowledgeable people there.

18. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Went with the Giant Simple Single. $280 after taxes. Still thinking about adding fenders...

Attached Files:

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

very nice. i like the simple look to it. classy.

about fenders: you can find all sorts out there, a rear is a must if it rains by you so you don't end up with a streak down your back :p if you need help looking for some just let me know. hope you enjoy it!

20. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, AND I get a free 1 month tune up and a free 1 year tuneup. Within the first month any accessory installation is free so i think I'll decide in that time. :D

21. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I haven't been able to take it out yet (other than the inital test drive at the bike shop) since it's been so cold (yesterday there were scattered t-storms and today it's 32F outside). Hopefully this afternoon will be warmer, so I can use it for some shopping errands.

22. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I hope your children never find this post, you need to be believable when you tell them that you had to walk uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow. :D

23. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

and without shoes I might add :p