Best/biggest hard drive for a white MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Adamo, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Adamo macrumors 6502

I'm looking at going bigger as 120GB is just too small, 500GB is muchly preferred considering how much space I've already used! I only have a couple of gig left and so many more gigs of music I'd like to transfer across from my external.

Do they even go up to 1TB yet for the HDD that MacBooks require?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

500 GB is the current limit on 2.5" SATA drives.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah Samsung has a 500 gb that i ve'read some good reviews on,, still pretty pricey tho...

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

The WD5000BEVT is the best 500GB at the moment. Faster than the Samsung and uses less power.

5. Adamo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ha! It's £109.95 on Play.com (PlayTrade seller), so I may well go for that. :)

Is it a simple case of restoring my latest Time Machine back-up? How would I go about doing it with a new blank HDD? Do I need to format the HDD first or not? I don't have a Leopard disc.. bear that in mind!

Cheers

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oooo nice i love western digital drives, I've had a very good luck with this brand...

7. Moks macrumors member

104.98 (sorry no pound symbol) at dabs.com
    102.21 at overclockers.co.uk

8. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think the BEST hard-drive for these machines is a 320GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA. They are quiet and nice.

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

It is a good drive true. However it uses quite a lot of power (just check Tom's hardware drive charts).

The WD5000BEVT is faster than the 320GB WD because the 500GB has 250GB per platter, while the 320GB has 160GB per platter. It also uses less power.

Check here for a review: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=307430

10. johnjay1776 macrumors member

To my knowledge, no, it's not easy as restoring from Time Machine. I think this is a neat tutorial but I haven't used it.

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you don't have a Leopard disc then it will be easier to buy a cheap USB enclosure for your 2.5" SATA drive and then use SuperDuper or CarbonCopy to clone your existing drive to the new drive. Will take about an hour 90 minutes to do.

You will then be able to boot from your new drive in the external USB case and when you are sure everything is there - swap the drives over.

500GB Samsung - £95
    320GB WD - £54

both from scan.co.uk - carriage is extra.

12. Adamo thread starter macrumors 6502

£109 at Play.com is better for me as I can use credit. I'll never ever use Overclockers as they're a bunch of racists and I refuse to fund anyone of that persuasion.
    Ahh, good idea! I take it I format it NFTS (I think I spelt that right..) prior to copying? I guess SuperDuper goes through that though, heh. I do like the idea of a fresh start, mind, but probably won't. I swear I have so many photos I've deleted in iPhoto but they're still on my hard drive, gah.
    Ah, I think I'll try SuperDuper if I go through with this. I just need the tools to take the HDD out now! Heh.