Best BitTorrent client?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

Just wondered what you guys feel is the best BitTorrent client, personally I think Azureus is as I think it is the most customizable and I seem to achieve the fastest speeds with it.
What are your favourites?

Thanks

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Azureus is by far the best, but I find that Tomato Torrent uses less system resources (Azureus is a hog)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I'm using Azureus right now but I need to change clients, I think.

I've been running it on an iBook G4 1Ghz with 512m of memory and if I leave Azureus up for long periods of time (talking hours, not days) it locks up my machine! The ol' girl never locked up once in ten months of hard use, the minute I load up Azureus I've had to hard reboot three times! :( :eek:

Another friend running Azureus on a PM 2.3Ghz G5 with 2.5gig of memory is having similar problems. It's not completely locking up, but it's definately slowing things down quite a bit. That can't just be Azureus hogging system resources, can it? Seems like there might be somethin else going on.

Any ideas?

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
evilgEEk said:
I'm using Azureus right now but I need to change clients, I think.

I've been running it on an iBook G4 1Ghz with 512m of memory and if I leave Azureus up for long periods of time (talking hours, not days) it locks up my machine! The ol' girl never locked up once in ten months of hard use, the minute I load up Azureus I've had to hard reboot three times! :( :eek:

Another friend running Azureus on a PM 2.3Ghz G5 with 2.5gig of memory is having similar problems. It's not completely locking up, but it's definately slowing things down quite a bit. That can't just be Azureus hogging system resources, can it? Seems like there might be somethin else going on.

Any ideas?
It is Azureus, hogging resources. Nothing more.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
unfaded said:
That is messed up. heh heh

I'm going to be getting a Dual 2.0 G5 PM this coming weekend and was hoping Azureus would run better on it.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I loved the original BT client, but the last update he changed all the buttons around and tried some new icons, and I hate the look. Plus, when I upgraded to Tiger the older version I was using crapped out. I switched to Tomato Torrent, but it was a bit of a pain for me.

All I want my BT app to do is the following;
1. Let me monitor my upload speed (huge issue when I was on a cable modem with a cap)
2. Easily see all my torrents in one window (Official BT client does this, TT does not)
3. When I open a Torrent, I want it to automatically start downloading to my desktop (Official BT client does this, TT does not)
4. Not use Java and be really super ugly and overly confusing, ala Azereus.

BitsonWheels is a great application, and at the top of my list of recommendations, but I haven't been downloading many torrents lately as most of my favourite TV shows are in the off season.

Edit::

unfaded said:
Its been my experience that most BT clients will hog resources. Even P2P software (Acquisition) hogs up my resources. Especially on a 1GHz PB.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I use Azureus, too, and i'm tottally happy with it.
Eidorian said:
I also have to say Azureus. It's a memory hog though.
Well, you must not blame Azureus for that, but the mplementation of Java into OS X.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I used Azureus for a while, but I kept having problems with slow downloads (in addition to the resource hogging). Finally, I ditched it and moved to Tomato Torrent, which I really like, and gives me much better download speeds.

Well, maybe it's just a placebo effect...

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I really like Bits on Wheels. Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but I just hate the icons within the app, how easy would it be to change them? I used to do it all the time in OS 9 with ResEdit, but I haven't gotten into it much in OS X. Ideas?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
rickvanr said:
I really like Bits on Wheels. Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but I just hate the icons within the app, how easy would it be to change them? I used to do it all the time in OS 9 with ResEdit, but I haven't gotten into it much in OS X. Ideas?
when you say within the app do you mean start, stop, clear etc... or the wat tomato torrent colors torrent files blue, if its to do with the torrent file use pixadex or candshopiconfactory.com/