Best Black Metal Band?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PandaOnslaught, Apr 29, 2010.

1. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As my avatar hints, it's Immortal ⎝,,⎠

There are many other bands which are awesome but Immortal is just..something...that I never get bored of!

HAIL Norway!

P.S. You got any recommendations? Been looking for new bands lately

3. PandaOnslaught thread starter macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

Immortal is on my top, but my ultimate favorite right now is definately 1349, frost's drumming in that band is SO heavy, i love it!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, 1349 is amazing too. Have you heard the new album? It's GREAT! IMO Frost's drumming is bit boring though, especially on Liberation, but it's FAST!

5. PandaOnslaught thread starter macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

No, i haven't kept up with them recently, i have literally just been listening to Beyond the Apocalypse, really love that album, im gonna go buy the album when i get home today, thanks for the heads up on the album

PS are we the only black metal fans here? lol

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Demonoir is great album, it's more traditional "instrument-raping" black metal, not ambient crap like the Revelations of the Black Flame was. It continues from where Hellfire ended.

Looks like we are :p Maybe more people will join this later one

7. PandaOnslaught thread starter macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

thats a good thing, 320bpm returns? lol i hope so

yeah i was hoping to expand some of my band horizons, i only have a few bands that i listen too in the black metal genre, its mostly tech death, but after listening to 1349, i really wanna see what more the genre has to offer.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1349 isn't very ordinary black metal band. Most bands play much slower like Gorgoroth and Burzum and the feeling is more important, not the skill level of playing. IMO 1349 would be technical black metal.

Check out Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir (new), Satyricon and Belphegor for faster black metal bands. If you enjoy fast metal, stick with technical death metal and check out Nile, Misery Index and Hate Eternal if you haven't already ;)

9. PandaOnslaught thread starter macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

Behemoth is black metal? i always though they where death, that like shatters my whole universe. lol

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Never heard of black metal. From the thread title I thought your where asking about metal bands that only have black members. I must say after listening to a couple songs on youtube black metal is definitely a major departure from Metallica and other 80's heavy metal. Though I couldn't say a favorite band as I have only ever heard two black metal songs now.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, Behemoth is blackened death metal. Old stuff is black metal but newer is more death metal alike. It's still a good band. Worst thing in black metal is poor audio quality as it makes it "true"

12. PandaOnslaught thread starter macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

HAHAHA, an all black metal band in a literal sense, well thats cool that you took the time too look, but about the metallica statement, black metal actually didn't derive from them, metallica formed in '81 and produced their first album in '83, but black metal started earlier, Venom had Released their fist album in '82, but i can see where it could seem that way

13. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I like Burzum, Gorgoroth, Cryptopsy, and Arsis... not sure if they all qualify as "black" metal because there are too many genres and sub-genres for me to keep straight.

Here's a question since you seem knowledgeable Hellhammer- what's the difference between "black" metal and "death" metal? Just the subject matter?

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't listen to black metal, not sure what genre I'm into, but black is too black for my tastes.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've always hated the genre stuff :D

Well, death is usually faster and "singing" is growling (very low) and has some guitar solos as well.

Black is slower and singing is higher but still growling but different from death. Songs usually have only few chords and sounds world is pretty cold and gloomy.

Death lyrics usually tell about war, violence, death etc while black lyrics are often about satan and stuff related to satan.

True black metal comes from Norway, and most people, including me, thinks that "black" from other countries is not black. Death metal is more open and is "allowed" in all countries, but many good bands come from US.

Example of black metal
    Example of death metal

But as I said, genre stuff is useless IMO. Many bands comes up with new genres and in the end, the band decides what genre do they play, they can call rap black metal if they want to

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

At the moment it is either Nae'blis or Deathspell Omega. I can't choose between them.

But I've been listening to the new Burzum album recently and that has really impressed me. I wasn't expecting much from it.

17. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Gah, I forgot Blut aus Nord and Spektr :(.

I guess it is impossible for me to list my favourite black metal band.

19. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Thanks for the info Hellhammer. I guess I myself prefer Death. :)

[​IMG]

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Death is brilliant too! It's death metal but as I said, genres mean nothing. Seriously one of the best death metal bands and it's kinda pioneer too

21. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I don't put much thought into the sub-genre's of death metal. To me "Death Metal" was what came from Thrash/Speed metal being taken to then next level. I guess Grindcore was death metal taken up a notch. But nowadays there seems to be so many sub-genre's it is hard to keep track.

It seems the newer bands don't want to be considered just straight Death Metal, they need newer names. Deathcore... etc. :rolleyes:

I agree with Hellhammer, that black metal must have a little "satanism" in it. Also they seem to use more keyboards (sometimes?) and like to be scary in a vampire/anti-christ kind of way. Where true death metal would never allow keys... ;)

22. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Cool! Glad to hear you like them too; they're probably my all-time favorite... at least top 3 anyway. What I love about Death is that each of their albums is a progression from the one before it, so they each have a unique and different flavor. And every single album is rock-solid the whole way through... I've never heard a bad Death song. And was there ever another throat-ripping howl that makes your neck hairs stand on end like Chuck Schuldinger's did? :eek:

23. JacobCampbell macrumors newbie

JacobCampbell

My fav black metal bands:
    Immortal
    Satyricon
    Dimmu Borgir (earlier)
    Primordial
    Asmodeus
    Bal-Sagoth

And of coz VENOM. They are a pioneers of black metal, but actually never plays it :)

24. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I forgot to add Cradle Of Filth on my list but out of curiosity being as I'm more of a Death Metal fan whats everyones fave Death Metal bands ??