Best blog service for children/non-techie users?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by nagromme, May 8, 2009.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm trying to help someone who has no money and no server... which means they need a free, hosted blog service.

Their needs:

* Super-simple (for an older child or non-technical user to update) rather than powerful

* Ability to upload images

* Ability to backdate articles rather than only adding them on top

* Free and fully hosted

* Trusted service that will be around a while

No blog is THAT complex to use, but I'm seeking the VERY easiest if possible. Blogger? LiveJournal? WordPress? Something else? Thanks for any recommendations!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

WordPress or Blogger would be my recommendation.

3. diemos macrumors 6502

4. Macrovertigo macrumors member

Macrovertigo

if it helps you to know ...

Hi I have used both WP and Blogger and like them both, however, from the perspective of an easily distracted artist, I am able to use Blogger far more easily and enjoy it just as well. If you don't mind google, and using a gmail address as your login name, with blogger.com you wind up getting a raft of free and clever "blogging utility".
    For an example of how easy it is to use blogger casually and on the spur of the moment, I have started and pretty much ignored about four of five blogs on WordPress, but on Blogger I have started nearly 30 blogs and maintain at least a half dozen of them regularly.
    Getting to know blogger is easy, it ranges between "way adequate" to "very nice", and if nothing else it gives you the experience you need to move on later if you really want or need to.
    If you already have or if you reserve a domain name separately, it is easy to have that be the url for the existing blogger blog - mynewblog.blogspot.com becomes mynewblog.com pretty easily, see?
    Go with blogger.com to start, use it for comparison later.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Blogger. It does everything on your wish list and it's extremely easy to use.

6. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks, all. I lean towards Blogger "by default" since I set one up for someone before. (I never used it myself after that, though, so I have no opinion of it vs. anything else.)