Best Blogging Software - ?

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Hi there...

Currently I'm doing a little blogging over at Blogger. BUT, I get annoyed with having to go to the website all the time...and DashBlog (a widget), is great but doesn't have all the functionality I'd like. PLUS, I'm planning to move my blog to my own server, and DashBlog didn't act very friendly there (could be operator error).

SO, I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Blogging softare...right now I'm trying out <a href="http://ecto.kung-foo.tv/">ecto</a>. It looks nice and OS X-ish, and also has a nice icon (very important).

Anyone?

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
My only complaint with ecto (after a few hours of fiddling) is that it's a little unstable. It has crashed on me two or three times. Also, some of the templates don't seem to want to stick after quitting the app. BUT, the interface is nice, and as long as your editing in html mode (rather than rich text) it seems to work great.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
If memory serves, WordPress allows for e-mail posting. Set it up and you can post an entry by sending a plain-text e-mail.

No more visiting the site to make your posts, but other than that I thinks it's totally web-based.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
idea_hamster said:
If memory serves, WordPress allows for e-mail posting. Set it up and you can post an entry by sending a plain-text e-mail.
Does indeed.

idea_hamster said:
No more visiting the site to make your posts, but other than that I thinks it's totally web-based.
You can still edit all your files locally. You can even install a local wordpress on your Mac.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I use MovableType and sometimes ecto to publish my articles. Right now I think people can get MovableType free, they are doing the 3.2 beta right now. I used the 3.0 beta for a very long time and it was complete with no restrictions like the pay version. Since then I have bought MT simply cause they make wonderful software and felt like supporting them.

jon

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
All good comments. I think in the future I'd like to move to movable type or wordpress, but for the moment, I'm going to stick with Blogger and continue using ecto -- it does a lot of what I want to do, I just have to learn html a little better.

Go on...

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I use Nucleus on the server - it's a brilliant piece of software, and not over-complicated (like WordPress, I've found), with a great range of plugins. It's also very easy to skin and template.

Most of the time I use Ecto to blog to it.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I really like MyBloggie. Its a PHP application, and I run it on my SquareBlog site. Best thing is, if you know PHP/CSS you can get it to look like the rest of your site, and if you want a feature adding, post a message on the forum and the guys that coded it will look at implementing your idea. Awesome.