Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I have a 2011 15" high-end MBP, and yes I realize this might not matter. Anyways I am looking to purchase an external blu-ray burner to make digital copies of my blu-ray movies as I have done with my dvd's so I can watch them on my iPad or MBP when I am on trips.

Does anyone recommend a good burner & app to do this? I know Toast 11 Titanium Pro has blu-ray burning / copying features but I've never used it and no idea if it's good.

Thanks for the help!

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I have a slim Asus one like this which works well if you want portability.

If you will mostly be using it in one place, I'd get a faster full-size one. Since the fastest useable interface is Firewire 800, if you're going full size, get a standard blu-ray burner drive and a FW800 enclosure. You can buy a LaCie FW800 external burner, but it's double the price.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I just purchased an LG from best buy. One of the reviews was from a MacBook Air user so I went with this to try it out.

Any good apps you recommend for backing up a blu-ray? Trying Toast 11 right now.

EDIT:

Got an app called "MakeMKV" seems to work since Toast 11 Pro wasn't (I think I don't know how to use it). So far I am able to burn to my hard drive as an .mkv format, 1 more hour and it will be done to convert through Handbrake to mp4.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.