Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Just got an external Blu-Ray burner for my M1 MacBook Air. Now I just need to find an app that allows me to burn my videos to a Blu-ray Disc. Any recommendations on what's best for burning Blu-Ray on a Mac?

• Haha
Reactions: cashville2400

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
The only ones I know are apples compressor, Final cut pro and Roxio Toast Pro. You can also buy just the video portion of Toast called Toast DVD on the app store and upgrade to the blueray encoding.
Apples compressor is a very robust program as far as encoding and manually setting bitrates and stuff, but makes very simple bluerays with only 1 title and basic menu. Same with FCP, but you have no control over bitrates, ect.. Toast on the other hand you can add multiple titles and make a pretty basic, custom menu. and it will choose the bitrate automatically based on the length of your videos on the disk.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
The only ones I know are apples compressor, Final cut pro and Roxio Toast Pro. You can also buy just the video portion of Toast called Toast DVD on the app store and upgrade to the blueray encoding.
Apples compressor is a very robust program as far as encoding and manually setting bitrates and stuff, but makes very simple bluerays with only 1 title and basic menu. Same with FCP, but you have no control over bitrates, ect.. Toast on the other hand you can add multiple titles and make a pretty basic, custom menu. and it will choose the bitrate automatically based on the length of your videos on the disk.
Yeah, I heard of the ability to burn Blu-Rays in Final Cut and Compressor. I dont mind the basic menus but only being able to burn one video clip to a disc is a deal breaker for me. I would need to have the ability to burn multiple clips to one disc for it to work for me. Seriously considering getting Toast Pro but it does seem pricey for just a burning app.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Toast dvd Is only $30 if you get it with the blu ray plugin. I noticed toast pro has added a pretty intensive menu creation while toast dvd is pretty basic. Allows you to change a background and text color but only comes with 10ish themes. Give it a try if your not a menu snob.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, I heard of the ability to burn Blu-Rays in Final Cut and Compressor. I dont mind the basic menus but only being able to burn one video clip to a disc is a deal breaker for me. I would need to have the ability to burn multiple clips to one disc for it to work for me. Seriously considering getting Toast Pro but it does seem pricey for just a burning app.
What have you found to be good at burning Blu-ray??? I have a M1 mini with FCP, Compressor, and Toast Pro 17. Compressor does burn a good Blu-ray, but as said is limited to basicly one video per disc. Toast 17 does offer many templates, and many video & slideshow items on each disk, BUT doesn't work well all the time on the new M1 processors. I can burn with Toast, but some items will shut it down immediately.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
Just got an external Blu-Ray burner for my M1 MacBook Air. Now I just need to find an app that allows me to burn my videos to a Blu-ray Disc. Any recommendations on what's best for burning Blu-Ray on a Mac?
what blu ray burner did you get? I am looking to get a new one, my current drive can read blu rays but it will not burn to them.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I had a 2012 mini with Toast Pro 17 installed. Worked great. Bought a new 2020 M1 Mini and with Toast pro 17 on it didn't work well at all. Even with all the bad reviews for Toast 20 Pro, I went ahead and purchased it. To my surprise works great with my M1 mini burning Blu-ray. I also have Final Cut Pro, Compressor, etc installed and use Toast templates to burn my video, slideshow projects to Blu-ray.

One caution! If you do get Toast Pro 20, be sure to have every file and folder, etc that has any Toast 17 deleted and removed before installing Toast 20.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
what blu ray burner did you get? I am looking to get a new one, my current drive can read blu rays but it will not burn to them.
I have a Blu-ray burner from OWC. Mine is a Pioneer that's has worked flawlessly for me. Not sure if OWC still uses Pioneer or LG now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.