Best Blu-Ray player for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRock1, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi there,

I'm trying to play a Blu-Ray disc that came with my StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm game. For that purpose I'm using a decent LG Slim Blu-Ray player/writer, which so far works good.

The problem comes to the software side. I've tried like four different applications, and besides the fact that the UI in all of them looks nearly identical (even their names are almost the same), none of these apps can get the main menu or the titles right, so I see in all of them a generic main menu instead of the own disc graphics and texts.

So, in order to see this Behind the Scenes movie as it deserves, which software would you recommend me or you think it's the best?

Thanks! :apple:

2. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

No suggestions? :s

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Bluray playback on Mac is practically a dead area. Your best bet is to rip it using MakeMKV --> Handbrake, and then see it then.

4. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

But that will be a chaos, converting separately every chapter and stuff... Far away from the real BR experience. :-/

Isn't there one single decent BR player?

5. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Sadly in order for there to be a better Blu-ray playing experience on OS X Apple would probably have to stop being so silly about it. I use MacGo's MacBlurayPlayer, which I assume is probably one you've tried.

6. tyche macrumors 6502

I also use that as a media player for all my stuff as I like the simple ui. Never tried using a physical blu ray disc with it however.

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

7. bruce9876 macrumors newbie

Have you tried iDeer Blu-ray Player? It's a good tool to play BR discs.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

MacGo's player should handle it; go to Preferences > Blu-ray and change Play Mode to Blu-ray Menu Mode.

9. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

You dont need to do every chapter, the biggest file in the list is the entire movie, select that, and rip.

If you wanted to try a free alternative to the above suggested real time BR players, try to do a web search for enabling bluray on VLC. It involves copying a few files into a support folder and whamo, it works well. Personally I go the MakeMKV route as I like my library stored on a NAS and ready to stream around the house.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's not a movie; it's a Behind the Scenes and therefore has multiple short titles, not one long one.

11. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

Ah sorry didnt read that part properly. Either way VLC with the added bluray keys etc is a free alternative, nothing to lose.

12. toke lahti, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

toke lahti macrumors 68000

No change in the situation in this year?
    Still no "real" bd-player software?
    Any experience on DVDFab Media Player?
    Any progress on open source side, VLC or others?

MacGo has now at least 5 siblings: Aieesoft, Aurora, iDeer, AnyMP4 and its free version, which has stopped working for me...

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

With the push towards digital, which is ideally suited for smaller screen devices, the market for "real bd-player software" on a Mac is dwindling.

14. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Well, I like to buy high quality bd-movies, which are also very cheap and have resale value. I guess I'm not the only one, but since these Mac software players are so bad, I'll keep using windows for that.
    Anyway, I found a nice way to watch these discs with Mac: rip the disc to .iso with "Aurora Mac Blu-ray Copy" and watch with VLC with aacs keys and lib installed.

15. Michaelgtrusa, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It's been said that Macgo apps phones home to severs in china used by their army! keep this in mind.

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

We're actually pretty much doing the same thing. I buy blu-rays and rip them on my Mac. I just don't use my Mac to watch the movies.

17. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

Have you tried Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player? It would solve your problem, I think.

18. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx for this thread, I git a Samsung BR writer for my MacBookPro and was looking at software to use with it........

19. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

VLC can be setup for blurry; I have not tried it but it is a free solution.

Alternatively you can try running Windows blurry software in a VM.

20. radtechy macrumors newbie

I tried the VLC and I still can't get it to work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.