Best Blu-Ray Writer for new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dimmer-fj, Dec 12, 2012.

1. dimmer-fj macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new iMac shortly, and still use old luddite technology (optical drives). As it looks like I can get a blu-ray reader/writer for not much more than a SuperDrive I'm leaning towards that option. So, in your opinion, which of the blu-ray options is most compatible? The things I'm interested in:

* works with iTunes to rip CD's, backup iTunes purchases
    * works with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, et al to burn DVD's
    * works with Toast to burn blu-ray disks
    * works with DVD Player to view DVD's
    * USB 3.0 support
    * Bootable

Some things that would be nice to have but not essential:

* uses a single USB port for power and operation
    * can use additional application to view blu-ray disks
    * looks nice

Some things I've not quite got my head around:

* how many formats do drives/disks come in? Seems like there are at least two configurations, one holding more data than the other. Support for the larger format disks would be useful if possible.

I think that's about it. Any other input is welcome.

2. SuperCyborg macrumors member

Not going to happen. Apple's DVD drive only works so well because it pulls more power than the USB standard normally allows.

3. taylord22 macrumors regular

I'm also wondering this. My preferences are a little more framed around value/future proofing; therefore, I asked Brian Lam from the thewirecutter.com (IMO, the best tech review site) if he could do a run down of the best options. I doubt he'll be able to finish anything in the immediate future, but considering this question is asked frequently (with no definitive answer), it might be worth waiting for.