Best Bluesy/Alt Rock Christmas Songs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Papanate, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

I'm currently digging on:
    Merry Christmas Baby; Southern Culture on the Skids.

What have you've got in your stocking?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This. If you haven't heard it, you need to. Great disc.

Attached Files:

3. Papanate thread starter macrumors 6502

Papanate

Who is that? I see several Lew Christmas's on iTunes.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My favorite Christmas albums are the Merry Axemas albums. Christmas songs covered by a bunch of great guitarists. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Alex Lifeson, Joe Perry, and more. It has everything from a killer version of Amazing Grace done by Jeff Beck to Brian Setzer's rocking "Jingle Bells". Volume 2 isn't quite as good, but has some cool stuff, like Stu Hamm's bass version of "Sleigh Ride".

Oh yeah, also check out Gary Hoey's HO HO Hoey series of albums. Good stuff on those.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I just came here to mention these...Joe Perry's track is great.

6. an-other macrumors regular

Old School

It's not Christmas without spinning, "It's Christmas Time Again." It's a collection of Stax artists, and includes two versions of "Santa Claus Wants Some Loving."

7. steve2112, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I love the two versions he does. Slow, then fast, really brings a change of pace. I think my favorite may be Alex Lifeson's "Little Drummer Boy". I still think they should have had Neil Peart do the song with him, though. :)

Another favorite of mine that doesn't exactly fit into one of these two categories is Weird Al Yankovic's "Christmas at Ground Zero". It's a great take on Christmas songs as only Weird Al can do it. Edit: I also just remembered Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy". Funny stuff.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Low", not "Lew". ;)

9. Papanate thread starter macrumors 6502

Papanate

I am also partial to Loius Armstrongs 'Christmas in New Orleans' album. I converted it so long ago I have forgotten the real title - and I can't fine the record anywhere.

One of the best is a duet Armstrong does with Velma Middleton: 'Baby It's Cold Outside' - still makes me chuckle. Classic old school.

There is another duet that isn't exactly Christmas - but Armstrong used to perform it during Christmas shows; 'Gone Fishin' with Bing Crosby.
    Again...even after years of listening I still laugh at the jokes...being so inside and really funny. 'I got me a piece of Gary'...perfectly delivered in Crosby's wonderful style.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I like traditional Christmas songs myself. Its sooo hard to find ones that aren't twisted.

Jamming to "Do you hear what I hear" as we speak :)

There was a Celtic Christmas album I had as a teenager and I LOVED it. I wish I remembered what it was because I'd buy it again in an instant.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio

A Cool, Jazzy, Bluesy mix that always puts me in the spirit. Over played? Maybe, but not by me. But damn that music swings.