Resolved Best Bluetooth adapter for Powerbook G4 (for headphones)?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hellothere231, Jan 10, 2017.

1. hellothere231 macrumors regular

I've been wanting to connect my Bluetooth wireless headphones (it's got 4.0 and aptx) to my Powerbook running Leopard 10.5.8, but with the inbuilt BT (1.1 IIRC), music is choppy and low quality. What's the best bluetooth adapter I can get for it? USB is fine, but I would more prefer PCMCIA since I would still have a free USB port on my laptop. Thanks.

2. reukiodo macrumors member

reukiodo

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't have the answer you're looking for either...but did you consider a bluetooth transmitter to plug into your audio jack?

4. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I haven't actually, I'll look into this; only problem is I would have to externally charge the device (unless it can power itself off the 3.5mm jack?)

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Most are charged via USB, so you could have it plugged into that...and a PCMCIA card could provide you with a couple more USB ports as mentioned above.

6. RhianB, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I don't have an ibook but I do have a G4 powermac quick silver. For BT, I am using a cheap Chinese Soundbot (SB340) BT4.0 dongle. Works great for my mouse and was immediately found by OSX10.5.8 and usable. I occasionally have to re-sync my magic mouse when waking up the powermac out of sleep but that is about it. Anyhow, here's one for $7.99US with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoundBot-SB...920571?hash=item1ea860943b:g:HHAAAOSwrklVHHoJ

Unfortunately, I have not used it for audio myself so I cannot speak to the audio quality, however the reviews that I have read, are all excellent both in regards to sound quality and connectivity/range. Here's one.

7. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

If it works fine with your Quicksilver, I might just have to go with that, then. Thanks.