Best bluetooth headphones for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macmesser, Oct 5, 2016.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I'm tired of forgetting my headphones are plugged in to my Mac and getting yanked when I get up and walk away, so I'm looking for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones. Any recommendations? I'm not an audiophile but I do like decent sound. I'm on OS 10.11.6 and have an iPhone and an iPad, so one which will also work well with iOS would be great. SHould I be looking at Apple store offerings? AirPods? Beats? Or will any decent on-ear set from Amazon be good?

BTW, I just got a highly rated and popular pair of TaoTech cheapies ($23) from Amazon but the sound really sucks. They were meant for joggers and so to connect with mobile devices. There were no drivers so I'm guessing they suck because they need software which does not come with El Capitan. Hopefully iOS is built to drive these devices. Are there any sound output tweakers for MacOS that feature equalizing and other standard controls? I seem to remember OWC giving something like this away with a minimum purchase. Does anybody know of such a beast?

2. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Try to get a pair with AptX support.

I have a pair of Sony MDR10RBT and I'm happy with them.

4. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for input.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2016 ---
    Thanks for sharing. They have 4 stars with 1700 reviews on Amazon US. Will consider if I go with in-ear.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found one with AptX support. Now I'm wondering if I need a dongle that also supports AptX, or if AptX is enabled via a driver included with the OS (El Capitan). I currently have a bt 4 usb dongle. Well, I'll soon see if I need a new dongle. BTW, I decided on a pair of Avantree Audition Pro headphones as price was right, they explicitly mention AptX support in description and had about 800 4.5 star reviews on Amazon. The other ones I was looking at were Bohm B67 but they did not mention AptX and seller didn't know. They were high-rated by CNET (again no mention of AptX) but I've found that many reviews are advertising hacks, including this one I think.

7. steve23094, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

AptX is included with OS X, it's not available on iOS (although I wish it was). If I remember correctly to confirm your headset is linked with AptX hold down the Option key when you're selecting your headphones from the Bluetooth menu bar item.

EDIT: Yep, I was right (the app the article talks about is not required, it does extra stuff) http://www.theghostbit.com/2015/03/force-mac-os-x-to-use-aptx-with-your.html

8. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for link. I'll check it out.