Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm tired of forgetting my headphones are plugged in to my Mac and getting yanked when I get up and walk away, so I'm looking for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones. Any recommendations? I'm not an audiophile but I do like decent sound. I'm on OS 10.11.6 and have an iPhone and an iPad, so one which will also work well with iOS would be great. SHould I be looking at Apple store offerings? AirPods? Beats? Or will any decent on-ear set from Amazon be good?

BTW, I just got a highly rated and popular pair of TaoTech cheapies ($23) from Amazon but the sound really sucks. They were meant for joggers and so to connect with mobile devices. There were no drivers so I'm guessing they suck because they need software which does not come with El Capitan. Hopefully iOS is built to drive these devices. Are there any sound output tweakers for MacOS that feature equalizing and other standard controls? I seem to remember OWC giving something like this away with a minimum purchase. Does anybody know of such a beast?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Try to get a pair with AptX support.

I have a pair of Sony MDR10RBT and I'm happy with them.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Thanks for input.
[doublepost=1476102405][/doublepost]
I bought these on a whim..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016KEO7M6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sound is amazing for the price, I can't believe it.

Thanks for sharing. They have 4 stars with 1700 reviews on Amazon US. Will consider if I go with in-ear.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

I found one with AptX support. Now I'm wondering if I need a dongle that also supports AptX, or if AptX is enabled via a driver included with the OS (El Capitan). I currently have a bt 4 usb dongle. Well, I'll soon see if I need a new dongle. BTW, I decided on a pair of Avantree Audition Pro headphones as price was right, they explicitly mention AptX support in description and had about 800 4.5 star reviews on Amazon. The other ones I was looking at were Bohm B67 but they did not mention AptX and seller didn't know. They were high-rated by CNET (again no mention of AptX) but I've found that many reviews are advertising hacks, including this one I think.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I found one with AptX support. Now I'm wondering if I need a dongle that also supports AptX, or if AptX is enabled via a driver included with the OS (El Capitan). I currently have a bt 4 usb dongle. Well, I'll soon see if I need a new dongle. BTW, I decided on a pair of Avantree Audition Pro headphones as price was right, they explicitly mention AptX support in description and had about 800 4.5 star reviews on Amazon. The other ones I was looking at were Bohm B67 but they did not mention AptX and seller didn't know. They were high-rated by CNET (again no mention of AptX) but I've found that many reviews are advertising hacks, including this one I think.

AptX is included with OS X, it's not available on iOS (although I wish it was). If I remember correctly to confirm your headset is linked with AptX hold down the Option key when you're selecting your headphones from the Bluetooth menu bar item.

EDIT: Yep, I was right (the app the article talks about is not required, it does extra stuff) http://www.theghostbit.com/2015/03/force-mac-os-x-to-use-aptx-with-your.html

Last edited:
Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.