Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I was wondering what is the best pair of Bluetooth headphones for working out.
Something versatile and robust but not junk.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I just ordered a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds and Powerbeats Wireless 2. Will compare both and keep whichever I like better. I have a concern with the Jaybird's falling out of my ear, otherwise the reviews I've read on them have been great. Both were kind of pricey (Jaybird's $125 and Beats $180 both on sale at Best Buy) but read great reviews on both of them. The only other one I was considering were the Plantronics Backbeat Fit (~$90 on Amazon) but I'll only get those if I dislike both the Beats and the Jaybirds.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I just ordered a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds and Powerbeats Wireless 2. Will compare both and keep whichever I like better. I have a concern with the Jaybird's falling out of my ear, otherwise the reviews I've read on them have been great. Both were kind of pricey (Jaybird's $125 and Beats $180 both on sale at Best Buy) but read great reviews on both of them. The only other one I was considering were the Plantronics Backbeat Fit (~$90 on Amazon) but I'll only get those if I dislike both the Beats and the Jaybirds.

Let us know what you think of the Jaybirds, which are the ones I own. I honestly couldn't use them with the stock ear cushion, but I added the Comply and it really became a custom fit without the need for those little wing stabilizers. The sound also improved since they are much snugger and isolate so much more. YMMV

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
It depends. I love my Aftershokz Bluez 2. But, they won't satisfy audiophiles who want the best music experience and want to block ambient noise. However, if you're ok with average music sound, very good spoken word media and having your ear canal open while you work out, check'em out.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I'm not an audiophile. I've had some relatively ok quality headphones (AKG k550, shure IEM, ultimate ear dual driver IEM, etc) but given what I usually listen to (audiobook and EDM), I find that cheap earphones are just find although build quality is often a problem with cheap cans.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Had my Bluebuds for a month now. These are awesome headphones. Workout and run with them without even a minor slip. They sound awesome and very close to some pricier wired phones I've owned. Can recommend them without hesitation.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
?

You had mentioned that the Jaybirds fall out of your ears. Do you have small ear canals? That's a persistent earphone problem for me. I'm looking for bluetooth ear phones that actually fit my ears and have good sound.

BeckyG

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
I've been using the Samsung Circle Gear headphones for about four weeks, and I am so happy with them. I love being free from the wires. They were on sale at Best Buy for $70.99, and they were definitely worth the money.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
You had mentioned that the Jaybirds fall out of your ears. Do you have small ear canals? That's a persistent earphone problem for me. I'm looking for bluetooth ear phones that actually fit my ears and have good sound.

Haven't tried them out yet..both are on their way from best buy . I have co corns about the jay birds tho since they don't have the over the ear support that the beats have

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Haven't tried them out yet..both are on their way from best buy . I have co corns about the jay birds tho since they don't have the over the ear support that the beats have

I'm interested in how they work out for you after you get them :)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
So what is the consensus on this so far? It seems like everyone has a different opinion.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
My vote is for the Jay Birds headphones. I have the camo version. They sound amazing, great range, stay in my ears while I run. Long battery life, lifetime warranty, can't go wrong.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I really like my wireless power beats 2. I was debating between them and the jaybuds and I think I made the best choice for me.

angle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Michigan
I got the Back Beats 2 and am enjoying them so far. Fit well and the first bud only headphones that don't fall out of my ears.

This! I'm active when I'm in the gym, switching between machines and kinesthetic exercises, and the beats 2 wireless NEVER come out of my ears! That alone was worth the cost. Add to the mix the awesome battery life and great sound and you really can't go wrong.

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I bought both the Bluebuds and Powerbeats 2, going to return the beats. Not happy with the sound quality at all, especially for the price.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Another vote for Jaybirds. I have the JF3 and Bluebuds X. They are incredibly resilient (which is to say water resistant to an extent I did not expect for BT headphones) and they sound great. Battery life is superb too.

I find that the JF3s fit slightly better than the Bluebuds, but the Bluebuds have better BT reception. I use them with Comply ear tips and the supplied ear stabilisers. I run with them (including marathons) and they perform very well.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I was wondering what is the best pair of Bluetooth headphones for working out.
Something versatile and robust but not junk.

I've had the Jaybird X3's now for a few months...and they have been awesome. The Jaybird app allows you to customize the sound to your liking which is nice. Only minor complaint is they use a small, proprietary clip for charging, that plugs into a standard USB cable...You lose that clip, you can't charge them.

Reactions: KarimLeVallois
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.