Best Bluetooth mice for professional use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roksraka, May 29, 2013.

1. roksraka macrumors member

hello! i've been a user of the magic mouse for a few years now, and i must say that i'm satisfied with its performance when it comes to browsing the web etc.... but as an architecture student i spend countless hours working with CAD, 3D modelling tools, photoshop and such, and that's not really home turf for the magic mouse.
    do you know any good alternatives? i'd like it to have bluetooth, so i can have one usb port more, and maybe some extra programmable buttons to use for switching between desktops (spaces) or as the 'back' button in safari...i also need a middle click
    thank you! :)

2. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but have you considered getting a Wacom tablet to supplement the MagicMouse? You can set up the tablet buttons to do program specific tasks, and the precision and control of the stylus is extremely useful for the sorts of CAD and visual manipulation apps that you use. You would still use up a USB port, but that's easily remedied.

Take a look at the Intuos tablets, or the cheaper Bamboo Create.

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

My choice is the Logitech Performance MX. It's not bluetooth but that's what cheap USB hubs are for :)

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

You're describing a Kensington Expert Mouse. Precision, speed and control. It's wired. Wireless is for people who don't really need precision.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

2013 Razor Orochi is the best traditional buttoned Bluetooth mouse I've come across. It can also be used wired and I use it for circuit board CAD and 3D CAD. Better Touch Tools supports programming the additional 4 side buttons.

6. opinio macrumors 65816

What are you working with? Nano particles on an IMAX screen?

7. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

I actually do have a wacom intuos 4 (well, my dad does, but only i use it...) and it is very usefull if i'm "painting" in photoshop, but it's not really optimised for CAD use, since it would require to have one hand on the tablet buttons, but i also need one hand on the keyboard. :) also, i do a majority of my work at my university and the wacom is a bit big to carry around every day...

8. tony3d, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

tony3d macrumors 6502

I was looking for the best mouse system for my professional 3d work I found what works for me.
    . I very hesitantly bought this mouse about a week ago for all it's programmable buttons. I get tired of hen pecking the keyboard. I also bought the Glide 9 aluminum mouse mat, and the combo has proved to be flawless for Lightwave. it has helped my workflow considerably. The laser tracking on the Glide 9 is absolute perfection! I really can't imagine being without it. It is fully customizable to your hand, and has proved to be the most comfortable mouse I have ever used! If your looking for a great tracking, button packed, comfortable, fully customizable mouse, and mat combo, this is it. Between the Mat, and Mouse, I spent $173.00. It was worth every penny! At first because of it's unique design, I though I mad a terrible mistake, but luckily it proved out great! So far the driver software seems to be rock solid except for two arrows indicating what buttons to program. There reversed. They also make a wireless version called the rat 9. It only has 8 buttons though.

Attached Files:

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

.....all that info and you never told us the make/model of the mouse.

10. tony3d macrumors 6502

Sorry. The one pictured is a Mad Catz Rat MMO7. The wireless version is a Rat 9. The Rat 9 only has 8 buttons. On both mice though each button at 3 modes plus shift, so on my mouse it is possible to map 78 functions. I can't say enough about the Glide 9 aluminum mat which is actually designed for the Rat mice. Tracking is absolutely flawless, and it glides across the mat as if it is on air.