Best bluetooth mouse for Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by opencube, Feb 13, 2009.

1. opencube macrumors member

The Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000 seems very popular, but is also pretty much unavailable in the uk (many stockists have the notebook version which is labelled the same but is different).

Any other alternatives to this you guys recommend?

WOuld like bluetooth to free up the usb ports.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Theres always the obvious choice of a Wireless Mighty Mouse:rolleyes:, I use mine with both my MacBook and a relatives MacBook Pro, and so long as you clean the scroll wheel, they are really nice and are also now Laser mice, which is really nice.

3. opencube thread starter macrumors member

not that keen on the mighty mouse to be honest, would rather hae a full size mouse than a miniture notebook one too.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Any bluetooth lazer mouse, but a notebook mouse with the nano usb would be nice...that way there is not a huge usb deal sticking out like most. Not a fan of the mighty mouse either, sorta despise it-- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=530642--- i had the rocketfish mouse and keyboard setup for my old dell and it worked awesome. Id highly recommend it. But the usb bluetooth receiver for the mouse and keyboard burned out and i had to get a different kind. But ur macs got it built in so id go for the rocketfish

5. ericsthename macrumors regular

Have you checked out the microsoft notebook mouse 5000? It's listed as a notebook mouse, but really isn't smaller than any average mouse. I don't have one, but I've been casually scoping what's around (to replace my 1st gen bluetooth apple pro mouse!)

logitech also has a rather high end standard (non-notebook) mouse, the mx 900 that is available in bluetooth. I don't know about you, but $100 plus for a mouse is a bit more than I'm willing to part with when the microsoft mouse can be had for $35 with similar functionality.

Other than that, there are a number of smaller brands that have bluetooth mice, but I've always found that they don't offer a much lower price, and certainly don't appear to be quality designs or hardware.

If you've never used bluetooth with a laptop before, I'd very highly recommend it - it's the only way to go truly wireless. Oh, and I'm sure you're aware of how scarce USB ports are on the MBP side...

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Which uses more battery power, running a bluetooth mouse or a wireless USB mouse with a USB thingy sticking in the port? haha. Just curious, because I feel like a bluetooth mouse would use a lot of battery, not true?

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

That 'USB wireless thingy' sticking in the side IS a bluetooth adaptor, its just another way of having bluetooth. the onboard bluetooth would likely use less power, and will create less wifi interference.

8. aresinferno macrumors regular

Not that i own it, i always liked the radtech BT600.
    http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx
    They can ship it to the UK too.

Although it is only 1600 dpi and i have heard about possible connection problems with it, i liked the fact that you can charge it through your USB port rather than changing the batteries. I believe that plugging it into your USB port and using it as a mouse turns off the bluetooth and runs it through USB. Not too sure though.

It also looks as if it goes with the new macbook pros well. The black suits the keyboard and screen and the silver matches the aluminium, or at least close to aluminium colour.

I would never think of getting a microsoft mouse. Especially with a mac. Logitech would be your best bet.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

10. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Agreed. But I find it quite comfortable and accurate.

Cheers.

-J.-

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It seems like some people like the Logitech V470. I bought one based on what some people have said here and after one day with it, i HATE it. The mouse lags. I have a very large high resolution screen and this thing skips around it is very difficult to get a precision click. I went back to my Logitech V320 for now (which has a USB receiver) and I will sell my V470 on eBay and jump back to the drawing board of finding a new mouse (btw if you want to buy the V470 from me if you decide to get that, just PM me - but don't buy it from me. it sucks).

I'm convinced that the non-Bluetooth mice have much faster response times with the computer. I've owned 3 bluetooth mice and they always seem to have some lag....

12. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

That's not always true. That 'USB Wireless Thingy' in some cases (if not most) is actually RF. (FYI, that's Radio Frequency). :cool:

13. steffi macrumors 6502a

I would you suggest you get a Logitech Nano Mouse. It's the one with the very small dongle. Honestly you should avoid bluetooth mice and this one is very programmable.

It has many buttons so I have the arrow buttons allow me to switch b/w applications and the center button to switch spaces and the scrollwheel is very nice and supports horizonal scrolling too. I've been happy with mine so far.

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I used to own the VX Nano (lost it at an airport), and I can vouch for that mouse being a GREAT mouse!

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely the MS 5000 has been an awesome addition to my MBP accessory collection. :D

16. akbc macrumors 6502

I own the RadTech BT600 the laser version.

It's a pretty cool mouse, I never have any connection problems on both Mac OS X side and bootcamp vista ultimate x86 side.

And when it's connected through USB, it still uses Bluetooth, it just charges through USB.

Very nice mouse, the battery lasts quite long. and it still uses standard battery, so when you run out of juice on-the-go, just buy a battery and replace it then. It's just like a mini battery charger inside the mouse.. Haha.

anyways, I'm quite happy with the mouse except the fact that the side buttons are a bit too stiff for use.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Bluetooth is radio requency, so is wifi, so is light... they're all just electromagnetic waves of differing wavelengths

18. finalcut macrumors 6502

I have the microsoft 5000 notebook mouse and, I don't know why, but every single time I reopen my MBP, I have to research for the mouse. It doesn't connect automatically like it did with my old white MB.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just click the BT icon on your status bar and scroll down to Devices and click on the MS 5000 and connect (should remain in the connect/disconnect status 24/7), and *poof* you're good to go...;)

20. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Bluetooth is indeed radio frequency, however I was referring to mice that aren't listed as "Bluetooth" and are stated to run just on a 2.4GHz RF (consequently Bluetooth uses the 2.4 GHz to 2.4835 GHz range), such as this one.

21. finalcut macrumors 6502

Ahh thanks for the trick!!

It's weird however as I didn't have to do that with my white MB

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I have my BT mouse and my BT/Wireless Apple keyboard with the same setup...:cool:

23. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I recommended it for a long time... but I use my computer so much the left click doesn't even work and it gets dirty from time to time.

24. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I ordered the Mighty Mouse when I purchased my MBP back in Feb 2008. Battery life is pretty good since I haven't replaced my battery since just now (a coincidence?). Like others have said, if you clean the scroll ball on a regular basis, you should be fine. I clean mine with a sanitizing wipe and turn the MM up side down to clean the ball.

The MM doesn't have a Back/Forward button and coming from Windows, I was used to that. But I have gotten used to it. Whichever mouse you are going to get, don't get the one with the USB dongle. Your mouse would become useless if you lose the dongle, and why carry an extra piece when you can do it without (BT). Good luck.