Best Bluetooth Mouse? (NOT Magic Mouse)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuna, May 5, 2015.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

I currently use the Magic Mouse and I hate it. To each their own.

I would like to purchase a bluetooth mouse because I would prefer to not have to use dongles for multiple reasons, however it seems like there are surprisingly few choices for high quality bluetooth mice. Logitech mice use their own proprietary system that requires a dongle (except for low end models and the $100 MX Master) and while Microsoft mice use bluetooth, they seem to get middling reviews.

Anyone have a suggestion for a high quality bluetooth mouse for a better price than the MX Master?

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I use the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse. It's very basic, but does the job.

3. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Reviews look good and nobody seems to have problems with Mac compatibility. I would have paid more for a little more functionality but if the next step up is $100 for the Logitech MX Master then this is worth a try. I have one on the way.

4. scottyy macrumors member

5. bubulol macrumors 6502

I am also looking for one with BT because i cant use any of those radio receiver due to interference with usb hub and hubs 3.0

6. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

The logitech Mx master is probably your best bet. However, its expensive and has a few minor problems in my opinion.

7. bubulol macrumors 6502

Yes too expensive :mad:
    I had G700 in the past, but i have heard issue with radio receiver and usb 3.0 (i use my Macbook + usb hub)

8. camelia macrumors member

camelia

Can I ask what's wrong with the Magic Mouse? :confused:

Came

9. bubulol macrumors 6502

Main issue with Magic Mouse its ergonomic, flat mouse isnt good if you use it daily
    Moreover no scroll wheel is a minus to me
    Yes its has pretty design but dont buy design over ergonomic

10. theluggage macrumors 68030

You're not alone.

Note that the MX Master requires "Bluetooth Low Energy" a.k.a. "Bluetooth Smart" a.k.a.-ish "Bluetooth 4.0" so if you have an older Mac (e.g. a 2011 MBP) it might not work (although the master also supports the logitech unifying dongle, which works fine but won't appease your dongle phobia).

11. camelia macrumors member

camelia

Then which mice should I have to buy for gaming and graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator...) Any suggestion? :confused:

rMPB 15" middle 2014

Came

12. bubulol macrumors 6502

G700S or G602 from Logitech, cheaper than other wireless gaming mice and it seems to have the best of compromise between gaming/desktop use
    If you want to play some games, dont pick BT
    BT = better battery life
    Radio receiver = better performance

13. bobbie424242 macrumors member

I'm using the MX Master Mouse and love it, although it may require some tweaking via the Logitech Options program.
    It is an extremely comfortable mouse for the hand.
    You may read comments about the next/prev buttons being practical but it didn't take more than a day for me to adapt and not have to think about it.

14. camelia macrumors member

camelia

it seems G700S is the best option for me
    -http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargeable-wireless-gaming-mouse

Thanks
    Came

15. bubulol macrumors 6502

Great choice, i had G700 in the past, truely ergonomic with the best scrollwheel over whole mouse market
    Cons are:
    - you may change mini-usb cable, when mouse is wired through that stock mini usb cable, it holds mouse too much
    - battery life is a bit short though it can last for fews days for desktop purpose only (set lower dpi and 125 hertz when you use it for desktop purpose)

16. camelia macrumors member

camelia

Which mouse do you own now?

Came

17. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Well that's unlikely to work. Poorly shielded USB devices cause interference on the 2.4Ghz band. The Logitech Unifying Receiver operates in the 2.4Ghz band. Guess what frequency Bluetooth devices use? 2.4Ghz.

If you have problems with one you're likely to get interference with the other. Other than buying new devices your best bet is to relocate the USB devices somewhere else.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Mice IMHO are very personal and not something that should online without trying first.

19. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

In theory you're probably right. In practice that's never going to work.

1. What store do you know that has a full range of mice out on display? Even if they did you're standing up which is not a natural position and you can't use them for any length of time to determine if they cause you strain. A lot of shops won't even sell the more exotic mice.
    2. If it's not your first mouse you know through experience what type of mouse suits you best.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

For the kind of mice being discussed in this thread Media Markt has them all, I assume Best Buy would all they have an more. Media Markt also displays them on a shelf that simulates the angle of and general height of using them on a desk provided you are of normal proportions then there is also the local computer store.

21. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Assuming you're the type to travel possibly long distances just to buy a mouse. Or you even have access to these stores, I've never even heard of Media Markt and Best Buy is North American. I agree with you that the theory is good, I'm just saying real life often gets in the way.

I know what mice I fit with (my hand doesn't change shape), doesn't everybody? Buying online is fine, it's never let me down.

22. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I like the Logitech M557. It is a small 2 button conventional BT mouse, works with Windows and Mac. I've had mine about 6 months running the original batteries, it's never switched off. Tracks accurately, no BT disconnection problems. I like it so much I got a second one for backup. $25 to $30 when on sale.

There is a third button centrally located (the "Windows" 4 spot in the picture), and the wheel-press switch and left/right wheel switches can be programmed to a limited extent, so you get a total of 4 extra actions that might be useful. But I just use it as a 2 button mouse.

I modified my M557 so the scroll wheel rotates smoothly without the old-fashioned click ratchet feel. Just requires opening the mouse up by prying off the 2 front pads and removing screws (plus 1 or 2 in battery area), then the ratchet spring that touches the wheel is cut or removed.

I also have a small Dell BT mouse (that has no Mac software support) and it works OK but it sometimes has tracking speed and disconnection problems.

I also have the Magic Mouse but don't use it because it's too low and causes hand pain after a while. No tracking or connection problems. They made it look cool, the top is a sphere and looks great, but it doesn't fit the hand. What happened to "form follows function"? Also they put 2 long pads on the bottom and they have too much friction and make a scraping sound on some surfaces. And the button pressure is too high.

M557 is at the bottom of the picture, the removed click spring is near it. Dell mouse in middle:

IMG_1335 copy 2.jpg

23. mackie8 macrumors 6502

i like to try MX master but im hearing a lot of bluetooth issues on mac... is it true? keeps on skipping and disconnecting when using on mac?
    im planning to use it on bluetooth not on usb dongle... i dont have free usb port on my macbook 12....