Best Bluray writer/reader

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eyepea, Mar 5, 2013.

1. eyepea macrumors member

I have avoided buying a bluray writer/reader for a while for my macs and have always relied on my trusty super drive for my Mac Mini's andMacBook Airs, but increasingly I have friends lending me bluray's and I cannot watch them. I sort of need this option as my MM Server is my media center hooked up to my main TV. I plan to just use it through VLC media player.

What are your views on the best external bluray writer/reader to replace my Apple Super Drive. I will mainly need it for reading but likely will still need to burn I am guessing when the need arises.

I want to try and get a slim version as well.

Any thoughts?

IP

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Playing Blu-Rays on the Mac in my experience is not a very reliable experience, and that is mostly due to the lack of native support. If you want to play Blu-Rays get a blu-ray player for your TV. I wouldn't waste money on one for your Mac.

The only reliable means to play Blu-Rays, in my experience on the Mac is through BootCamp and Windows.

Cheers

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Agreed, a BR player for your Mac is fine if you want to rip your collection into iTunes with MakeMKV and Handbrake, but not a good solution for just playing a BluRay in real time.

4. eyepea thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

So does that mean a blu-ray will work fine with Toast to burn Blu-ray Discs, but if I try to watch an actual movie from one then I can't simply open it in VLC as I would with a movie DVD now?

Do you know of any osx media players that work with a blu-ray movie disc?

IP

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It'll "work", just not well. Since OS X does not have native BluRay support, all decoding has to be done at the application level, which causes performance issues (visible or audible stuttering/skipping). Just not worth the trouble when you can buy a BluRay player for under $100.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

This may be not the best way. I just save as a disc image with toast titanium using an external Pioneer blu ray writer. Then use MacGo Blu Ray software to play the blu ray movie. The quality and native resolution is retained in the disc image.

8. taylord22 macrumors regular

External LG drive with a Lacie enclosure is easily your best option if you're not concerned about style (it still looks nice), desk space, or portability.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I use Mac Go Blue Ray Player software and it plays my blue rays flawlessly on my mac. I have no stuttering of any kind. it works great.

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

I use a slim blue ray player which works fine, but it is slower then the full size blue ray burners. also some of the larger blue ray burners can burn 50 gb disks. mine only burns 25 gb disks. i believe its a samsung drive. but if i was buying again i would make sure it could do the 50 gb disks. that can be awful handy to have.

10. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I use the same drive and software - works very well.