best book about macs for a new computer user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

when i go home during the summer im giving my dad my old g3 iMac with a clean install of tiger
    he asked for book to learn how to use it he didnt like the idea of just diving in to it
    he doesnt want to do much just basic stuff like
    email,instant messaging ,word processing and surfing and probably downloading images from the digital camera

2. bananaquit macrumors member

I have used David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac, Tiger Edition." It's part of the missing manual series and they're very good. However, it says it "covers Intel Macs & Boot Camp" so besides the obvious, I have no idea what would or would not be pertinent for a g3.

3. sharky05 macrumors regular

4. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Robin Williams

David Pogue is a good writer and I have his Missing Manual book for Leopard. I also have a book by Robin Williams (Peachpit Learning Series). Titled Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I really recommend her books, especially for the less-technically inclined. She details well the operations one can perform with Mac, without going into bothersome detail. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. So, if I have a how-to question on something, I reach for her book first to learn how to do it. If I want more in-depth detail on that particular function, I pick up David Pogue's book. Here's a book on Tiger from Robin Williams, on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-10-4-T...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209293500&sr=8-1

Hope this helps,
    Morod

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n