Best books about macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfrenia, May 15, 2009.

1. cfrenia macrumors newbie

I'm switching to a mac in a few weeks, and I've never owned one before. I've been doing so much surfing around on the apple website and here, etc. and there are just alot of things I don't know! I want to make the best use of my new system and wanted to get a book that best explains how to use everything. Does anyone have good suggestions? I've been looking around on amazon but I don't know which ones are for more advanced users or which ones are outdated. I'd prefer to have the most updated book on Leopard possible. Thanks for any advice!

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

About 2-3 years ago (not sure), I got an eMac after never using a Mac in my life. After a couple of weeks I was using it like I had used it all my life. If you are good with computers then I wouldn't worry about a book, but if you really need one then I am sure people here can help you :).

3. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

4. Dunmail macrumors regular

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I like David Pogue's Book called Mac OSX Leopard: The Missing Manual. It is kind of thick, and goes into great detail about the OS. It may seem intimidating, but it's actually pretty easy to read.

Edit: wow, two other folks posted the same thing while I was posting. That'll teach me to walk away during the middle of posting.

6. cfrenia thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like this is the one i'll get then, thanks guys!

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I have two good books. One is David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard, referenced above. It is easy to read and goes into great detail. A good book.
    The other is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Peachpit Learning Series by Robin Williams (no, not THAT Robin Williams). Here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-10-5-L...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242415285&sr=8-1
    It too is a good book. Well written without going as deep as Pogue's. I use it to brush up on things. When I lend one of the books out to a new Mac user, it's always the Peachpit book I give them first.
    Good luck to you!
    PS... Robin Williams has another book out called Cool Mac Apps that is good for learning more about the iLife Suite apps.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

David Pogue also has a book switching to the Mac for windows users. I have toth of his books.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Terminal book

So what is the best book to buy to learn the terminal commands :confused:

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

11. Dunmail macrumors regular

If you don't know the terminal commands then

man <command>

are the runes to use, however you need to know what the command is to be able to access the man(ual) pages!! Here's a list - http://www.scribd.com/doc/2084227/Mac-OS-X-Terminal-Commands-list

For the most part you'll use just a few of these: cd; ls; chmod; grep; and so on. OS X uses Bash as the terminal program so find a book on that, there's an O'Reilly one I use.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba