Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honcho

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
I recently ordered a 16-inch MBP. The config is 2.4/32GB/1TB/8GB. I am planning to do some light gaming on my new machine. What I am unsure about is how much space to allocate to Boot Camp on a 1TB drive? My main game would be Elder Scrolls Online which is about 100GB.

Is it feasible to have Windows 10 on a partition then run games off a USB-C external SSD drive? Or would I need to have my games on the internal drive too? Would there be a significant performance hit for going external? Another option that has occurred to me is to get an external Thunderbolt 3 drive and install Boot Camp to that. From what I understand, a Thunderbolt-attached drive is almost as good as an internal one (speed/compatibility/TRIM). Thunderbolt drives are expensive, though, so I want to be certain before I go down that road.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
What I’ve done was installing bootable Windows 10 on an external SSD in the past. Whenever I wanted to play games, just plug in the drive and reboot. No change needed to internal SSD.

This time I just got 2TB and don’t have to worry about cables.

honcho

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
What I’ve done was installing bootable Windows 10 on an external SSD in the past. Whenever I wanted to play games, just plug in the drive and reboot. No change needed to internal SSD.

This time I just got 2TB and don’t have to worry about cables.
To be honest, I was thinking of going up to 2TB. I’m not too keen on the idea of wires and peripherals where they can be avoided.m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.