Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I have a Lumia 520 on Windows Phone 8.1. The only think that stops me from using it as a daily driver alternative when I get bored with my iPhone is the fact that internet explorer is absolutely atrocious. It renders many pages horribly, including gmail. Are there any alternatives that don't suck? Obviously there is no Chrome or Firefox yet.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I have a Lumia 520 on Windows Phone 8.1. The only think that stops me from using it as a daily driver alternative when I get bored with my iPhone is the fact that internet explorer is absolutely atrocious. It renders many pages horribly, including gmail. Are there any alternatives that don't suck? Obviously there is no Chrome or Firefox yet.

UC Browser and Opera have been getting updates lately, and have resolved some of the rendering issues that IE has had.
Right now, we are waiting for Microsoft to finish making adjustments so it accepts webkit mobile site coding, similar to what Firefox does.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
UC Browser and Opera have been getting updates lately, and have resolved some of the rendering issues that IE has had.
Right now, we are waiting for Microsoft to finish making adjustments so it accepts webkit mobile site coding, similar to what Firefox does.

Good to know! Thanks for that, will try out opera.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

Does Microsoft allow third party engines for add on browsers?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With no third party engines, you're just using skinned IE or they're doing rendering somewhere else like with Opera Mobile.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Don't want to start a new thread.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/BLU-Win-HD_id8935

Any good compared to Nokias? I checked it out in a Microsoft store and I was impressed. I think it was $179.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.