best browsers for OS 9.1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macboydus, Jan 11, 2009.

1. macboydus macrumors newbie

Hey - I am running the above OS on my clamshell iBook Currently ive got IE 5.1 as my browser, but its not displaying pages properly, and facebook refuses to use it! I also have tried iCab, but is seems horribly slow to load anything. Any suggestions for a better browser for me?

:)

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The better question is, why are you still using 9.1? That laptop can run up to 10.3.8.

That being said, I doubt there are any browsers that will be able to handle an AJAX website like Facebook.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Facebooks going flash based now isnt it? but yeah an early release of firefox would be your best bet.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I don't think so, their uploaders are still java, and the chat is AJAX as far as I know.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

thats right, but if you look you'll see the whole photo system has moved over to flash now and the chat in certain countries has moved to flash as well. The only reason i noticed was when my CPU was maxing out to 100% for no apparent reason when i was surfing Facebook, and i realised they'd been busy implementing Flash everywhere. (as you probably know Flash+Mac = CPU 100%)

7. jackoverfull macrumors newbie

jackoverfull

You already said 2 of 3: IE and iCab.
    The number 3 possibility is wamcom: a mozilla more updated than the latest available for OS 9: http://wamcom.org/

My grandmother has a similar iBook too: first gen ibook, something like 3.2 GB HD and 230mb ram, os x would be very slow on it, but OS 9 is still great for some things (writing, checking emails…that's all).
    Anyway, updating to 9.2.2 would be a very good idea…;)

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

more like did you try os x?

9. macboydus thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the suggestions peeps - i will try some of those browsers - a bit lazy with that iBook though in terms of getting os x or updating os 9, as i have an iMac running os 10.3.9 - but its a desktop.....so this clamshell is just good for checking things whilst sitting in front of the telly ('watching' the snooker!).....im sure if i got os 10 on it, it would be far too slow...so im happy with things right now, its just the facebook issue - however its slow enough on my iMac (and i can now see why!)....so perhaps will try these browsers.....but im guessing its not going to be a superb prospect - still, its nice to have the old iBook going again (been switched off for two years!) and its fine for a bit of surfing usa :cool:

thanks for help again :):D