Best BT headset for Noisy envirement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SunnyFL, Apr 18, 2013.

1. SunnyFL macrumors regular

Work around allot of loud machinery and sometimes windy conditions. I have the iPhone 5 and usually carry it in a shirt pocket and one of the biggest issues is not hearing it ring. I was looking at some of the higher end headsets and thought I would check in here for opinions. One that had the callers name announced would be most helpful as well as great confort.

2. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe there is a better forum for this topic.

3. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Budget? Quality? Brand?

4. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at the higher end Voyager & Blueant units. I really like the idea of being able to leave phone in pocket w/o having to see who is calling.

5. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Bluetooth headset? Motorola isn't bad.

6. beeinformed macrumors 6502

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

It's an in ear design. The main part of the headphones go around the neck. The unit actually vibrates when you get a phone call so you aren't going to miss a call. I place mine under my collar an no one can even tell I'm wearing them.

8. Izaiah macrumors regular

Izaiah

I'm seconding the LG Tone, though I have the HBS-730 version. I have huge dryers at my job and I listen to music on these when I can't take the noise lol. Also, haven't had any complaints when I've gotten calls with the dryers running.

Verizon has them on sale this month. That's where I picked mine up.

9. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

So they only vibrate? No caller ID anounced?

10. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

I did pick up a Voyager Legend over the weekend and so far I am happy with everything except it's totally useless if there is any kind of wind.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Wish I saw this tread before, I would have recommended the current one I used, I have used about 5 in the past and the Blueant T1 is fair better than the past ones I have used. I only use it in the car and it works great for me.

It's supposed work ok in wind speeds up to 22 MPH.

EDIT: I bought mine a few years ago, and blueant has a couple of other versions too.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

They vibrate and you hear your ringtone through the earpiece.

14. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

15. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

16. viewfly, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

The Jawbone is far better than the q3 for noise cancellation. Wind too. Had both.

Will tell you who is calling too. Reads text and displays battery power on iPhone display and through audio. Works with Siri. Programmable.

But for your side, a total in ear type isolates noise best for listening to music. Maybe a wired apple in ear is better for that. Like an earplug

You can also go to ear doctor and get custom molded ear fitting for jawbone.there are two issues. Noise cancellation for your caller and ambient noise isolation for you, so you can hear them. You can consider this accessory.

http://www.averysound.com/as.bk-home.html

P.S. Jawbone gives 60 day money back... at least from Jawbone webpage purchase.

17. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Are there different versions of the Era? I notice there is a large price swing on the Era on the online stores. I want to make sure I am getting the latest release.

18. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

There is the ERA and ICON. ERA is the newest. But I see what you mean on a Amazon. Some were used but not labelled. Some are not supplied with all the accessories.

I only buy from jawbone direct. Best buy and apple have them too. Only one version I know of.

19. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

You mentioned it will read your text, is this true with iPhone or just for Android?

20. viewfly, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I only have an iPhone. Siri works fully with jawbone. So for a new SMS or iMessage text, ask to read new message, and you will hear it through the Jawbone. And you can dictate a reply. Press and hold the jawbone to activate Siri.

Siri doesn't read new emails but It also works fully with VoiceOver and read text in Accessibility. So to read emails, check that out herehttp://isource.com/2011/11/12/tip-how-to-make-siris-twin-voiceover-read-your-email-on-iphone/

Question on your OP. you want BT to speak in a noisy environment or to hear in one? It's not the same answer for both.

PS. You'll want to make use of the Jawbone MyTalk software to customize the headset.

21. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it's a little of both, but probably more that the people on the other end can hear me even if I am speaking from a noisey area. I have the Voyager Legend now and the only time I have had anyone say they could not hear me was when I got out in the breeze.

22. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

A friend bought the Jawbone ERA last year and claims that he can drive with the windows down, and friends think he is at home.
    Jawbone works great for people on the other end. However, being that it covers only one of your ears, it can be hard for you to hear others if there are trunks or other very loud noises going by. Jawbone audio adjusts volume for ambient noise, but there are limits. You could earplug your open ear, which helps, but the jawbone seal is not perfect. This would be a problem with any over the ear system or one ear BT. The custom ear silicone for the Jawbone should help, as I wrote above.

For the noisiest environments, the Apple in-earphones or something like it, are the best for noise isolation, but the noise cancelation on the bare Apple is not as good as NoiseAssasin 3.0 on the ERA, particularly if the iphone is in your pocket, covering up the on board mics.

It just not a perfect world, my friend

23. SunnyFL thread starter macrumors regular

Great info. Thanks

24. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

You're welcome and good luck.