Best buckling spring keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jgmacrum, Oct 29, 2009.

1. jgmacrum macrumors member

So I'm planning on getting a new iMac. One thing that always bugs me about my other macs has been their wretched keyboards ... on my linux machine that I use at work I still rock an old IBM Type M, but alas the whole USB thing has made them obsolete.

I've been poking around at a variety of options - Unicomp, Das Keyboard, and others. Was just curious as to if anyone had thoughts on the best options for a buckling spring type keyboard for a Mac user ... it doesn't seem like any of them offer true mac KB layouts (volume keys, eject, etc), but c'est la vie.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unicomp Model M? I mean it's the same keyboard as the IBM Model M, except this one's USB and it cost $120 instead of $5.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I love my Das Keyboard. I switched the location of the Windows and Alt keys so it is a Mac-like layout. I left the functions keys as is, but keep a BT Apple keyboard around for things like eject, the Apple functions, moving around the room, and for people that are intimidated by a blank keyboard.

It is pricey, huge, and loud, but I would not trade it for anything. I really would like to get a second one for work, but I feel it would be a little loud.

5. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

A coworker has a Unicomp and I like it. I was hoping to come across something w/ the volume, eject & such built in but I suppose that's probably not going to happen :)

I haven't looked closely at the tactile models, but I did see some chatter talkign about them being unreliable?

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Thanks guy. Great post on keyboards. I didn't now these brands -Das Keyboard & Unicomp. I bookmark this thread for a future buy ! ;)