Best BUDGET Car Audio & Mount for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by beatledud, Apr 5, 2012.

1. beatledud, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

beatledud macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4. I also just got a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. It has an aftermarket CD player head unit. No aux input or anything flashy, and can't play my iPhone on it as a result and I have radio stations I much prefer over my city's offerings.

I want to get something that I can easily play music from my iPhone for cheap, also maybe a mount so I can use GPS and have easy access to control the music/answer calls. Hands free is the law where I live, so that helps too.

Bluetooth seems to be convenient, but then again if the phone's in a mount and plugged in to keep charged, USB is more than sufficient if it can transfer audio (not just stored MP3s but audio from radio aps)/phone calls/GPS directions. Don't need remote Pandora control, steering wheel control, or anything. I can make do on my phone if it's readily accessible (again in said mount). Just a simple deck with an Aux port and then a car lighter converter with a mount could do, but if I have to have cables, I'd like to keep it at one (ie charge and transfer via USB to the deck).

Also I have to store/ take with me everything exposed since the car is parked outside in a city.

Any Thoughts? Could be an older model that I could find used for cheap on Ebay. I'd like to keep this under $50 if I could get an old model or used.

2. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

What's "budget" for you? Look into the DICE unit. I have one in my Audi and connects directly to your radio via the dock connector so you don't get tape hiss from tape adapters or static from Radio station adapters.

4. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

5. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

I had stated that my budget was $50 for everything (deck, mount, etc). Its looking like that's tough to do. Those Dice items look rather pricey, plus I don't know where to go on their website.

I've found Dual XDMA6415 Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth (old model) on Amazon for $65. A bit more than I want to pay, but this may be my cheapest option, since anything with just USB will only access your MP3 files and not stream music from app or answer phones. This Dual model offers built-in bluetooth so it supports all the audio needs, and has a separate mic for hands free that apparently works really well. Can't charge from USB though or else it overides the bluetooth, so I guess a cig lighter to ipod dock will be needed, but that's at least 1 cable. Thoughts?

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Try something from iSimple, if your CD Player supports controlling an external CD Changer, iSimple is the cheapest method, that still delivers great sound. (Looks very OEM too after installation)

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are plenty of aftermarket interface options. iSimple is just one of many.

8. turbo6shooter macrumors newbie

Dice UNI200. Inputs signal through antenna cables. Just need to connect a ground, +12V, & switched +12V

Plays iPhone iPod and USB stick drive, also has a Sirius XM module port

9. David Ho macrumors newbie

10. sonovale macrumors member

I kept my eye in your site provided by you and I think this is really a very helpful site.:)

11. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

The absolute cheapest and easiest way to do what you want to do is probably to get one of these:

http://dx.com/p/fm-transmitter-charger-with-car-charger-holder-mount-for-ipod-80427?item=13

A holder/fm transmitter/charger all-in-one. I don't know how well that particular one works because I've never used it, so you might have to do some digging yourself to find the best one. Or you can get all 3 of those (the holder,fm, cigg charger) separately too. You can still take calls, but you'll be using the iPhone's own mic.