Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klashjelm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2022
Hi,

We have an ancient iPad (2nd gen, I believe), but as our 6 year old daughter shows a great interest and talent in drawing, we're thinking of getting a newer version, where you can use one of the Apple Pencils, to support her in this. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different models of iPads available though, plus the two different pencils, and we wouldn't want to spend too much on this.

From a very quick research, it looks like a used iPad 2018 plus Apple Pencil 1 would be the cheapest option. Is that a good choice, or would something else provide some clear advantages (Pencil 2, iPad Air, an old iPad Pro)? Obviously it's probably a fairly simple use as she's still very young, but still that she has something to grow with that doesn't need to be replaced in a couple of years.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Instead of an actual Pencil, you can buy the Logitech Crayon ($50-60 on sale) or clones for $15-30. These work just as well as the Apple Pencils minus pressure sensitivity. The Crayon/clones will work on any iPad released in 2018 or newer.

I recommend either the iPad 8th gen (2020) or 9th gen (2021). Those are still fairly inexpensive and the A12/A13 should be supported quite a bit longer than the A10 on the 2018.

klashjelm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2022
Thanks for the input, but I'm thinking that the pressure sensitivity is a vital part of drawing, isn't it? Maybe not for a six year old to begin with, but eventually. I'll see what I can find used, but will try to look for a 8the gen then!

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Instead of an actual Pencil, you can buy the Logitech Crayon ($50-60 on sale) or clones for $15-30. These work just as well as the Apple Pencils minus pressure sensitivity. The Crayon/clones will work on any iPad released in 2018 or newer.

I recommend either the iPad 8th gen (2020) or 9th gen (2021). Those are still fairly inexpensive and the A12/A13 should be supported quite a bit longer than the A10 on the 2018.
I've been tempted a few times to give something a try on a 1st gen 9.7" iPad Pro.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for the input, but I'm thinking that the pressure sensitivity is a vital part of drawing, isn't it? Maybe not for a six year old to begin with, but eventually. I'll see what I can find used, but will try to look for a 8the gen then!

Sure, eventually. Batteries go bad though and it’s expensive to get the Pencil replaced.

Perhaps by the time your daughter is ready to move on, the Pencil would need replacing anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.