Best burning software for entire seasons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrewjcm, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Andrewjcm macrumors newbie

I purchased a couple dual layer dvds in order to burn a couple seasons of Big Bang Theory onto. When I bring the files into Toast to burn them, they end up being about 5.55gb, with the menu, it comes to around 6 or so. However, I get this error saying that there isn't enough free space, even on the dual layer dvds, though, it let me burn anyway.

Currently, I'm wondering if there is a software, other than Toast, or some proper way to burn files onto Dual Layer dvds without getting an error or anything like that.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is there any way to change the destination disc type in Toast?

Have you tried Burn?

3. Andrewjcm thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't tried Burn yet, but I will. And as far as I looked, there isn't, the disk is encoding and burning right now so I'll know in a few hours.

4. simsaladimbamba

The episodes will be highly compressed using some MPEG-4 codec variant, but video DVDs uses an older MPEG-2 codec, which is not as good in compressing as MPEG-4 is, thus you have larger files, and normally a commercial DL-DVD holds three 45 min episodes, thus six 21 min episodes sound about right.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I guess I missed something. All I got from the OP is that his DL discs weren't registering with Toast with the correct amount of available space.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

3? I would say it depends on the quality of the video as well. I have the Mad Men episodes in mp4 format with 720p HD quality and each episode is about 1.5GB in size. A dual layer is about 9GB so I would assume this can take well more than 3 episodes.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You have to set the type of disc in Toast. It will be near the bottom of the window, on one side or the other of the graph that shows how full your disc is, depending on what version you are using.

8. igmolinav macrumors 65816

9. simsaladimbamba

I am talking about video DVDs using the MPEG-2 codec, which is not as efficient as the MPEG-4 codec (like H.264) used today in most torrents of TV episodes.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ah yes. I missed that part. Didn't know people still used MPEG-2.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you burn a DVD for video, then you use MPEG-2...

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

...? You are probably right since I am no expert on this but I was under the impression that DVD's used MPEG-4. Hmm, interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Many DVD players can play MPEG-4 video, especially because MPEG-4 is basically a refined version of MPEG-2. However, the DVD-Video standard uses MPEG-2.