Best Business Laptop - Under $500

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kdm0505, May 2, 2015.

1. kdm0505 macrumors member

Jul 5, 2014
    Hi All, I am looking for advice on buying a laptop for business. What does everyone recommend for a sub $500 laptop? It's most likely has to be a PC.

FYI, I currently have a Thinkpad Edge and the screen is broken.
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    You could...

Probably get the screen replaced for less than $500 and keep the good business laptop....
  3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2014
  4. quickmac macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2011
    Stay away from the Thinkpads. At least the new ones (past 3 years or so). I got a well equipped T430 about 2 years ago and it's nearly unusuable. I regret selling my 2009 MBP. The bloatware, the security issues, the slowness of their "integrated software," battery basically failing after less than 2 years, and to boot the "durable" outside is literally falling apart. I've had two or three pieces fall off the thing.

Granted I use this for my business and grad school so it's always on the go. But the MBP held up like new over 3.5 years after I bought it and was worth every cent. I'll eat crow to say, stay away from Lenovo brand laptops.
  5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    A second hand classic Macbook Pro should be fine. Perhaps a 2011 13" one. Intel HD 3000 is not that bad. It doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, but if you use it in a desk, you can later buy a dock which will give you plenty of USB 3.0 ports.

Split the hard disk via Bootcamp if you need running Windows.
  6. talmy macrumors 601

Oct 26, 2009
    This is sad news. I see lots of laptops (because I teach part time) and the Lenovo consumer models are no better (namely "junk") than any other brand. I'm discouraged that their main-line T business laptop has gone the same route. Maybe the X line is fine?

No wonder many people buy Apple laptops and just install Windows on them!
  7. errorunknown macrumors member

Feb 13, 2011
    Don't most workplaces supply business laptops? A little confused here.
  8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ

I'm confused as to why he's on a Mac forum asking about a cheap PC.
  9. Breaking Good, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2012
    Just offering an opinion, but I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a "business class" machine in that price range.

You may wish to consider getting a cheap laptop and a good backup drive and backup often.

When the cheap laptop breaks, recycle it and buy a new one.

I know it sounds bad. But I don't think you'll receive any value in buying a $500 laptop PC versus buying a $300 laptop PC.

Another option may be to look a refurbished Dell Lattitude. You can often find online sellers selling these in the $300 range.

I've been researching various laptop options for several family members recently and I've come to the conclusion that PC (Windows) based laptops are throw away devices.

I am the type of person that likes to buy quality items that last. But when it comes to Windows base PC's, I just can't see the point in doing so.