Best Buy $500 off previous gen good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Palliser, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Palliser macrumors regular

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

3. Macforfun macrumors newbie

Don't buy. The new m3 has higher geekbench score than last gen m7 (higher single core, slightly lower multi core). Unless you think the extra 256GB if SSD is worth the slower SSD, slower CPU and lower energy efficiency as well as worse keyboard, then for the same money, get the new m3.

4. maerz001, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

Wel
    well but the 2017 is still $200 more for half the ssd. the CPU is a few ticks faster but nothing substantial.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It's a great deal - the question is whether the performance improvements or the keyboard improvements are important to you enough to buy the 2017. And I must say, I think the keyboard refinements and CPU improvements for the 2017 are just lovely.

6. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

I was tempted. One day later, the deal was changed to "only" $400 off!

That helped change my mind!

2017 has the 2nd generation keyboard, faster SSD, faster CPU, better computer all-around...

Although, truth be told, once one hits the stratosphere pricing on these things, the 13.3" MacBook Pro (non-touch bar) with better everything looks like the better, long-term buy! It beats the 12" MacBook in screen size, color, and brightness; some say the keyboard is better, too; it has the extra port; better sound; better CPU; etc. (All is better save for the fan and 1 pound extra weight.)

7. Palliser thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up grabbing the m5 512gb for $830 on open box. Thought that was a great deal. Curious what keyboard updates they made to the newer version.

8. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Compact size, weight, and true portability almost always costs more....
    People comparing the Pro with the MacBook don't seem to get the point of the two.

Although the extra performance is always nice, for my purpose (and many others) true portability is the ultimate goal.
    I would never want a Pro to lug around or travel with.....

9. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Agree with your observation -- different types of device for different purposes.

However, a 3 pound MBP is hardly something one has to "lug around"!

Compared to the 4.5 and 6 pounds of just a few years ago, the recent MBPs are featherweight.

Plus, compact, lighter, smaller have cost *less* in the past -- i.e., MBA vs. MBP!

10. ARK macrumors 6502

Agree with your observation as well. However, a 15" or 13" MBP is still wider and deeper than a 12" MB.

11. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

I'm not comparing to something years ago.......I'm comparing to what is available now.
    Technology changes very rapidly.....I can compare todays modern cell phone to the "brick" of a few years ago, but what's the point?

There is a big difference carrying around todays Pro vs MacBook.....1 - 2 lbs difference and the size is very noticeable.
    I travel a lot and don't want that bulk to, yes, lug around.
    Specs are one thing.....but carry both around for several days pretty much nonstop and the difference between them is huge.

I want a powerful laptop that can handle most light to medium duty work but have the smallest footprint and weight possible.
    The current MacBook excels in this category.......

I just don't understand those that can't make the distinction between the two.

12. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

I was comparing current offerings to both the present and the past! I mentioned the 4.5-6 pounds from several years ago because the "lug around" comment could have applied back then, but it no longer applies, especially not to the present 13.3" MBP!

3 pounds is hardly something one has to "lug around"!

For sure, the 12" MacBook is amazing! Every time I pick one up, I am struck by just how lightweight it feels. Featherweight, iPad-like (especially iPad in a case).

Still, if one is faced with a 12" MacBook at 2 pounds and 13.3" MacBook Pro at 3 pounds, the difference is NOT between lightweight and LUGGING around! It's between incredibly, magically light and lightweight!

Add in the MBP's extra port, better screen (brighter and more colorful), better keyboard, better sound, true USB-C, faster processor, larger wrist pad, etc. and it becomes hard to justify the MB for just about the same amount of money!

Unless, of course, one desires a fanless, magically light, smaller notebook over all the other factors.

As you said, "I just don't understand those that can't make the distinction between the two."

13. Buerkletucson, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Thanks for proving my point......Glad to see you finally understand. o_O

Car salesman by chance?

14. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I bought this and love it. Great for everything I do and I love the bigger hard drive. My buddy just got the new mbp non touch bar and it feels huge after getting used to my 12in

15. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Still NOT conceding that the "lug around" descrip was erroneous, eh?!

By the way, not "finally understand" -- I realized the lightness magic two years ago! Yet, in almost all other respects, the new 13.3" MacBook Pro has the MB beat... and, at 3 pounds, it's still lightweight!

You also neatly sidestepped the point that small, light, portable have historically cost less in the Mac world, especially where an MBA va. MBP comparison came in.

Oh, well... I figure such differences of perspective can still help others in their decision-making! Hope you can, at least, agree with that!

16. Palliser thread starter macrumors regular

I've had the macbook almost a month now. It's nice the keyboard is taking time to get used to but it's not nearly been as bad as all the comments have made it out to be. So far so good.

17. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I have had mine for almost two weeks now, and I am incredibly impressed with it. I purchased the 2016 MacBook M5 8GB/512GB from Best Buy along with the student coupon for a total of $975.

I've been back to Best Buy a couple of times, trying to make sure that this MacBook is really worth keeping. I even walked out with an iMac on a B&H price match. After a couple of days I returned the iMac without opening it, fully confident that this MacBook is a great machine and can do a lot more than what most will give it credit for (at some point in the future I still plan on purchasing a 5K iMac - maybe once they make SSD drives standard in the iMac line).

I have also really adjusted well to the keyboard and I'm almost at the point of preferring it over other keyboards I have. On my trips to Best Buy I checked out the newer version of this keyboard, and although a little nicer, I don't see that big of a difference.

The Geekbench on this 2016 M5 is 3363 Single Core / 6428 Multi Core - which matches pretty closely to a Dell Skylake i7 dual core 2 in 1 that I also own. I am really impressed with this Mac.

18. slpslee1 macrumors member

I think it's excellent, too. Of course, I learned to type back in the Dark Ages when you used a manual typewriter and threw the carriage return by hand. I can't find a thing wrong with the keyboard, and I'm a very fast and accurate typist. It's not like the keys are in a different configuration from what you're used to, so I don't see a problem. The computer itself is fast and responsive. It makes my 13 inch MacBook Pro seem porky. So far, so good here.