Best Buy Accidental Warranty (after the refresh?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Apr 11, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

So I stupidly bought a new MBP last month, and got the accidental warranty, I am trying to sell it quickly before the expected refresh this week, but it's a hail mary.

Anyways, my question is, if my laptop breaks in a month, 2 , 3, will best buy keep a stock of old MBP's to replace mine??

Or will they give me a new Arrandale..

Advice?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Well I always get their black tie insurance but my stuff never breaks. They told me if it "breaks" (smashed with hammer for arrandale :rolleyes:) they will replace it. I would recommend waiting 2-4 weeks after arrandale is released to do it to make sure all the c2ds are gone.

btw... I would lower your MBP on craiglists pricing to 1999$ because then people would snatch that sucka in 5 minutes. You'd lose 400$ but it is better than not being able to sell it! Also, offer it to neighbors and stuff go door-to-door like a girl scout saying "want my MBP for 2000$?" haha good luck but you'd better lower the price to get it out before tuesday or wednesday

btbtw... put it on ebay too

4. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

If I walk around my neighborhood with this thing I'm more likely to get robbed.

But thanks :)

5. swish2351 macrumors 6502

But if it gets robbed, maybe you can get your black tie insurance!:D haha i doubt it tho

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

doesn't bestbuy have a return policy...? if possible, do the math and see which would save you more, a restocking fee or selling it on craigslist. goodluck.

btw*** what's the specs on it?

7. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

They have a 14 day policy, which ended 17 days ago.

It's a 2.8 15"
    Restock on $2300 would have been $200 and i would take it in a second. Can't now though.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF you bought the accidental insurance, just dump the computer in a tub of salt water.

9. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I know but if I do that too soon then I get another C2D, I am just wondering how many they will keep on stock for this sorta thing.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe for the accidental protection they issue you store credit (minus the cost of the extended protection), so then you're free to make another purchase at will of whatever you want.

11. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I called my local Best Buy today, and this is what happened which is why I'm worried. Please tell me this lady didn't know what really happens.

me- "Hi, I had a question about my accidental insurance plan I bought from you guys on my macbook pro"

lady "Yes?"

me- "Well next week you guys are getting the new MBP's and I was wondering what would happen if my computer was a total loss, would you guys replace it?"

lady "Yes"

me-"Like the original one?"

Lady "Yes, don' worry you're covered."

me- "****"
    soooo
    1. She doesn't know what she's talking about or didn't instore understand me, and I would get an credit like you have said.

2. She's right, and I would get an old MBP

3. idk what else

12. appleisgod macrumors regular

They see how much you paid for the original and give you that dollar amount to buy a new one. Whether it's an hp or the brand new Mac, they don't care. And yes I did work at a best buy in the computer section.

13. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

She probably didnt know what you were talking about. She probably thought "getting new MacBook Pros next week" meant a new shipment and that "like the original" meant "I'm not gonna get some different, lower end model am I?"

14. ZazenZach macrumors member

Best Buy, like all tech seller corporations, is really stingy- I used to work there. they're gonna do everything in their power not to lose money.

they will replace your damages c2d with another refurb c2d. you will not get the new models. and trust me, there is a huge stock of refurb macs, all Best Buy needs to do is have another store or stocker send them the refurb computer to give you if that particular store is out.

it's highly unlikely they would give you cash or instore credit. their policies have changed because they are on the brink of bankruptcy.

tl;dr- just sell your computer on craigslist. and dont purposefully damage your computer hopng to get the new model, because it wont work

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

either sell your MBP now, or wait quite a while after the Arrandale MBPs are released. For one thing, BB already has little to no stock of C2D models, and obviously Apple is either going to or already has stopped manufacturing them, because BB can't order any more. They might keep refurb stock SOMEWHERE though, for cases like this, but eventually they will run out.

16. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Best thing to do would be to check the store yourself and ask for a MBP when the new ones come out and see if they try to sell you an old one. That means they still have stock.