Best Buy and Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MarkSTi04, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I don't know how many people know that Best Buy is actually selling Macs in some of there stores. I found one here in the St. Louis, MO area. They actually had an Apple display with a few of there products. It was interesting to me that they had a 17" MBP but it was running 10.5.2 version of OS X? What's up with that? I ran by the nearest actual Apple Store and looked at there 17" MBP (last generation) and it was running 10.5.6 like I supposed it should have been. So is everything that Best Buy sells a referbished unit?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

For... the last three to four years, yes.

Best Buy sells nothing refurbished (iPhone is "refreshed"). They just don't care. They don't update.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wouldnt say refurbished. i know the bb near me sells the newest models

i dont think thats necessarily fair.

they might get stuck with old stock sometimes sure

4. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the ones near me all have sold them for a while, they have a section for them with an apple rep standing there, I do not buy from them because when I bought my ipod nano from them, i payed for a new one and they gave me a refurbished or open box one, and it had scratches on the back and a chip in the paint, and i didn't notice until i was about to unbox it at home, needless to say i returned it and never bought an electronic from them again (except headphones in the hard-to-open plastic packages and cases for my electronics)

5. leishan macrumors 6502

I have had this happen to me also. When I took it back, they wanted to charge me a restocking fee (which I guess is their policy).

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Not all areas sold Macbooks at the same time. I think in my area it's only been a year or so.

7. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats interesting. I spoke with the guys at the closest Best Buy to my house and they said that they were gonna get a section of there laptop section made into an Apple section that will have the Mac Books, iMacs, Mac Mini, and possibly Mac Pro. I guess I'll find out after January 18. I will most likely buy my Mac from the Apple Store or from Apple.com

8. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

Bestbuy

I work @ bestbuy and we do not sell anything refurbished...... However we do sell open item and that does include Apple....

And to the Op question is not that the Product is diffrent from the Apple store is that we have a program called Deep Freeze..... In order for us to update the machines we need to thaw the application and update it then freeze it before the public can use it......sometime there is no time for that......At my store I take care of all updates.... so its up to the department and store.....

Hope that answers your question

9. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

That tends to make a lot of sense in this case. I don't think any of this bb store was running on 10.5.6 Thanks for the info.