Resolved Best Buy and AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrjackal, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mrjackal macrumors newbie

I'll be purchasing my iPad Air at Best Buy, hopefully on Friday, but certainly sometime in the next week or so. Typically I'd buy at an Apple Store, but I have a ton of reward zone certificates to burn through.

In any event, can I buy AppleCare at Best Buy? Am I disqualified from Apple Care by not buying the iPad at an Apple Store?

Thank you for your time.

2. rui no onna, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep. Scratch that. Forgot they had their own Geek Squad warranty so probably a no on this one.

Nope.

3. bbishop93 macrumors regular

You can buy from best buy then walk into Apple and buy applecare. But at that point I would suggest doing what I did with my macbook. I bought the Bestbuy accidental warranty plan which is not THAT much more than Applecare, BUT you get accidental coverage for drops and spills or normal use accidents. For example, you're computer getting run over by a car is not normal use and will not be covered, but spilling a bottle of water all in your computer will be. The plan is pretty good and is barely more than Applecare, but once again no accidents with applecare only manufacturer defects.

4. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I am not sure if you can buy applecare at best buy or not. They will try to push their geek squad warranty first and foremost.

Even if you can't purchase it at best buy, you can purchase it at an apple store. You just have to take your iPad in and have it inspected. I know with the iPhone you have 30 days.

5. mfr1340 macrumors regular

I have Square Trade on all my phones. You get 4 accidents and the 2 year policy is cheaper than best buy and apple care.

6. legioxi macrumors 6502a

iPad and iPhone get AppleCare+, not AppleCare. AC+ covers any damage.

7. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Ah okay well then that changes it for the iPad my bad.

8. mrjackal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for the information and taking the time to reply. This helps!

9. ABC5S, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

10. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

12. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

13. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

That's always the danger with third-party warranties, that they'll use their own repair centres rather than Apple in order to keep costs down. Personally I want a guarantee that any repairs would be carried out by Apple so I'll be choosing AppleCare.

As said above, you can either buy AC with a new device or else take it in to be inspected within 30 days. The inspection is obviously to prevent people taking it out retrospectively after damaging their device and the 30 days is presumably to stop people taking it out on an older device and then intentionally damaging it in order to get a new one.

Not sure what the deal is with a brand new one purchased from somewhere other than an Apple Store. You could try taking it, still sealed, to the Apple Store and showing them that it's obviously brand new and see if they'll sell you the AC but they may still insist on opening the box and checking it.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I ordered my iPhone 5 from Apple and had it shipped. I went in to the store about a week later to add Apple Care. I just had to walk up to one of the people on the floor, he asked for my Apple ID and charged me. Didn't even look at the phone.

As always, different stores and employees may vary. All in all it was a very quick and easy process. I had made a Genius Bar appointment but ended up not needing it. In and out in less than 5 mins.

15. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Simple. Apple is my choice always, since they have the best peace of mind return/fix policy. I can go over to them, get the exchange immediately, they will fix it or if something goes wrong, they will stand behind the product. $49 is not much for me to have this peace of mind. I always go to the source not to a third party. You, and others maybe different, but its my decision, and I'm comfortable with it.

;) :)

16. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I've always used apple lol jw about the ST deal

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1 on this. I think the same way. Saving a few bucks is not worth the hassle. At least not to me. Other people have more time on their hands and the few bucks are worth more than their time and aggravation. So, good for them.

18. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I briefly gave Best Buy some consideration but my gut is telling me purchase at an Apple store. My gut has never steered me wrong and like others have said, the peace of mind of doing so makes it a no brainer. Plus, since this is my first iPad, if I have any questions, I feel the Apple store is the better way to go in getting it set up. :cool:

19. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Best Buy doesn't fix iPads however. They just swap them out with new ones to my knowledge.

20. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Interesting... Anyone know if you get a refurb vs. new? Not that there's anything wrong with Apple's refurbs...

Clint

21. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I was ALWAYS told they just take a new iPad out of the box and give it to you, I've never actually tested it out though. And I was told this same thing at multiple Best Buys too.

22. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

That is interesting.

I'm still purchasing my iPad at an Apple store but do know Best Buy did this for me for an Apple TV 3 I purchased at their store. It stopped working a couple months after purchase when I upgraded the system. The Geek Squad dude didn't even bat an eyelash. Just told me to go pick out a new one. I rarely buy extended service warranties anymore but this was the best $14 bucks I've spent for a 2 year warranty. No questions, just grab a brand new one and I was out the door in 5 minutes.

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

Just to be clear, with Squaretrade you can either send it to the repair center or go to the Genius Bar. If you take it to Apple then Squaretrade will reimburse you the cost. Previously the option to take it to Apple wasn't as apparent, and you had to ask. Now that option is made clear on their web site.

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I had to swap out my third gen iPad at Best Buy due to a dead pixel. I gave them mine back in the original box and walked out with a new one sealed in the box. However, this was within the return policy, not with the Geek Squad warranty.

25. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I've purchased most of my idevices at Best Buy. I live hours from an Apple store so I just call Apple when I get home and purchase Apple Care + over the phone. I've never had a single problem doing this.