Best Buy Apple Repair??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cciliberto33, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

I live near a local best buy that has an apple store inside it. Saying this will they be able to fix a broken key on my macbook free of charge??:confused:

EDIT: I have extended apple care

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Chances are, no. The store may have an Apple table setup, but it's not an actual Apple Retail Store with Apple's own technicians and stuff.

If you don't have a "real" Apple Retail Store nearby, you can call 1-800-APL-CARE and they should be able to help out.

(And if you do have a real store nearby, don't forget to reserve a free appt. for the Genius Bar online before you go in!!!! The Genius Bars are busy!)

3. cciliberto33 thread starter macrumors regular

grrrr I have to send it out for a stupid simple key mechanism malfunction..... I'll call best buy up see if they will or not

EDIT: Best Buy rejected me so I have to send this in for 1-2 weeks for a piece of plastic worth 3 cents to make not one store carries this is bs

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... Best Buy def. will ship it out, as do most big box stores that carry Apple's products (Fry's, the late Compusa)...

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you actually ever sent anything into Apple for a simple repair before?

The only reason I ask is because when I did, I called them Monday early afternoon, they had a box (for me to put my laptop in) overnighted to me by the next morning. I used my notebook during the day Tuesday, dropping it off at DHL Tuesday night. They got it, fixed it, and shipped it back Wednesday. I received it Thursday morning.

From Tuesday afternoon to Thursday morning, it wasn't even gone 48 hours.

6. cciliberto33 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay one more thing, there is a local apple store called macoutfitters. They seem pretty legit to me I'll try that before i ship it in.

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

If it's that big of a deal, why not just buy a $3 key on eBay and fix it yourself?

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

To be able to order Apple parts and do repairs in-house under warranty, they need to be an "Apple Authorized Service Provider."

Best Buy is not such a place, but your local store may be.

9. cciliberto33 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, by the looks of it they are they been doing this since 1991 I'll call in and do an update

10. cciliberto33 thread starter macrumors regular

Update

Apparently no one wants to carry my MacBook Aluminum parts anymore so i have to send it in for about 1 week good bye mac i hardly knew ye.