Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dixie318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Southern USA
I've decided to get the following computer:

13.3 inch Macbook Pro
2.53GHz
4GB RAM
250 HDD

I do mainly word processing, light graphics editing, internet surfing, and light gaming (Sims 3). I plan to upgrade the RAM at some point, use an external monitor occasionally, and might end up buying an external hard drive should I fill up the internal hard drive before the computer bites the dust (unlikely, but I like to plan out the what-ifs, which is my main problem here).

Now I'm down to deciding whether or not I want to order directly from Apple and buy AppleCare ($183) or buy from Best Buy and get their Black Tie Protection ($349) with Accidental Damage coverage.

I live in a detached house with two roommates. I don't know if the door to my room locks, but I expect they'll throw parties over the course of the year, which makes me lean toward the 2-year Black Tie from Best Buy because, should someone come into my room and spill a beer all over my MBP, Best Buy will replace it, while (to my understanding) Apple will not. After this year, however, I'm moving to a house I'll own and will not be throwing any crazy parties with drunk coeds milling around. I will, however, be starting law school and toting my MBP to class more frequently than I do as an undergrad now (I've never taken my laptop to class in all 3 years of college), making damage from drops/falls more likely.

If I buy from Apple, I get a free iPod Touch, which I could sell on eBay for about $200, which would pay for the AppleCare. I also get a $100 student discount.

At Best Buy, I don't get the student discount but I do get the free iPod Touch, and I have the opportunity to buy the Accidental Damage coverage.

If you were in my situation, which would you buy and why?

ETA: T&C for ADH
a. Accidental Damage From Handling Coverage
(ADH)
• ADH Coverage is only available for the following products: notebook computers, digital cameras, subscription based mobile phones, digital camcorders and portable DVD players.
• If you purchase ADH Coverage, this Plan will provide you with the coverages listed in the Coverage section and ADH Coverage.
• ADH Coverage will provide coverage for parts and labor costs to repair your product as a result of damage to your productthat is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event, such as drops and spills, that arise from your normal daily usage of the product as the manufacturer
intended.
• If your product receives two (2) repairs as the result of cracked screens or has been replaced pursuant to this ADH Coverage provision, this Plan has been fulfilled in its entirety.
• ADH Coverage expires one (1), two (2), three (3), or four (4) year from the original product purchase date as stated on your purchase receipt.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Without reading the T&C I'd say I'd want whatever had accidential damage. However if their repair/replace service was poor and left me without a machine for a substaintial amount of time, I'd want AC & a promise to be careful.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's hard to know like jessica. said without reading the T&C. I would go with AppleCare its less money upfront and they have great service. Also, I would be sure and carefully put away your laptop when you aren't there if you are worried about careless roommates.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Although BestBuy's plan does sound more attractive since their coverage seems to offer more, I would still highly recommend you go with AppleCare. As ucfgrad93 has suggested, just be prudent and put away your MBP when not in use.

Crazoski

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Apple Care also provides three years of 24/7 phone support. Should you have a problem, they are very knowledgable about the product and can help you right then and there.

ephrin

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
Best Buy plan

I've had a number of good successes with the Best Buy plans. My sister-in-law, for instance, spilled a glass of wine on the keyboard of her 2.4 Ghz White Macbook, and within about a week and a half, she had a brand new Aluminum 2.4Ghz MacBook in her hands. A substantial upgrade. Best Buy's service center techs do know how to work on Macs (from what I understand they're Apple Care cetified), as do many of their in-store techs as well.

Turn-around times are about the same (based on my own experiences with Applecare), and while you don't get tech support with Best Buy, there's a wealth of places where you can get help if needed (perhaps at MacRumors.com?).

Accidents happen, especially if you live with roommates. Best Buy's techs are not all the retarded six-year-olds everyone makes them out to be.

entity

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Detroit, MI
Hi!

I work for Best Buy so I'll share some knowledge.

The ADH BTP coverage is unique to Best Buy as it covers physical damage (cracks, drops, spills, etc.), the AC adapter, and the battery. The only thing not covered is total submirsion (no pools or toilets). No Best Buy store can service Apples in-store for hardware issues, rather it must be sent out to our repair center. The average turn around time is 2 1/2 weeks sooner if it's a quick fix and parts are on hand. There are no real crazy terms in the T&C.

Also, if the repairs equal 80% of the units value after depreciation, we junk-out the computer and you get a new one.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

SanibelMan

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
You might also want to contact your insurance company, assuming you carry renter's or homeowner's insurance. USAA offers accident coverage for computers for a very small premium (mine is $4/month for up to $3,000 in coverage).

dixie318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Southern USA
Ugh. I went to Best Buy with my AmEx in hand ready to buy. They're sold out all over the state (AR), and in Memphis, and in Dallas, and even in Jackson, MS. And they don't know when they'll come in. I'm moving in 2 weeks and starting my senior year of college in 5 weeks. I'm *praying* they'll be in in the next two weeks, because I really want to have my new MBP before I start classes. And I decided to buy through Best Buy so I can get the ADH for 1 year and then buy AppleCare to cover me after I move back home.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I would go with BB. I have found their warranty service to be quit reliable and the nice part is, all the ones i have had with them, will replace up to the value of the device for the duration of the extended warranty. Some T&C stipulate that if they replace the entire product the warranty is satisfied.

entity

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Detroit, MI
Ugh. I went to Best Buy with my AmEx in hand ready to buy. They're sold out all over the state (AR), and in Memphis, and in Dallas, and even in Jackson, MS. And they don't know when they'll come in. I'm moving in 2 weeks and starting my senior year of college in 5 weeks. I'm *praying* they'll be in in the next two weeks, because I really want to have my new MBP before I start classes. And I decided to buy through Best Buy so I can get the ADH for 1 year and then buy AppleCare to cover me after I move back home.

You can try http://www.bestbuy.com and order it online with the BTP, if it's available. Same deal here, lots of MB's are sold out throughout the state.

gaps

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Junk Out?????

Thanks for the insight about the ADH BTP. I currently have a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 - Core Duo 2 GHz - 17 " - 1 GB Ram - 200 GB HDD with the accidental coverage and would love for this computer to break since it sucks and I cannot wait to get a Mac. This computer is about 3yrs old and my warranty is up in a few months. I know this sounds strange but what would be a sure way to get this computer junked out? I would love to accidently spill a drink on it and get it junked out for a 17" MBP! And how do they determine the 80% value after depreciation? The computer has never really seamed like it worked right from day one even after upgrading to 2gb Ram and removing some of the junk programs that come with pc's. I mean last night it just froze up while playing a cd, downloading the new itunes, and surfing the web, WTF! Im just over the PC thing and can't afford a Mac but cant wait to get one. I don't want to get you in trouble with work but any advice from anyone about how to accidently break mine to the point where they junk it out so I can get a mac would be great!

The ADH BTP coverage is unique to Best Buy as it covers physical damage (cracks, drops, spills, etc.), the AC adapter, and the battery. The only thing not covered is total submirsion (no pools or toilets). No Best Buy store can service Apples in-store for hardware issues, rather it must be sent out to our repair center. The average turn around time is 2 1/2 weeks sooner if it's a quick fix and parts are on hand. There are no real crazy terms in the T&C.

Also, if the repairs equal 80% of the units value after depreciation, we junk-out the computer and you get a new one.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.[/QUOTE]

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You're comparing 2 different products:

Applecare: 3 year extended warranty[/i] limited to the terms of the regular Apple warranty, last I checked their support hotline is not 24/7. That's a service reserved for the server products (much more expensive, I might add). Apple care does NOT cover accidental anything, ever.

Whatever the other stuff is: sounds more like insurance. They cover other crap as well.

Applecare will give you a faster turnaround, myself I'd consider adding it to my homeowners insurance if I were you.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks for the insight about the ADH BTP. I currently have a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 - Core Duo 2 GHz - 17 " - 1 GB Ram - 200 GB HDD with the accidental coverage and would love for this computer to break since it sucks and I cannot wait to get a Mac. This computer is about 3yrs old and my warranty is up in a few months. I know this sounds strange but what would be a sure way to get this computer junked out? I would love to accidently spill a drink on it and get it junked out for a 17" MBP! And how do they determine the 80% value after depreciation? The computer has never really seamed like it worked right from day one even after upgrading to 2gb Ram and removing some of the junk programs that come with pc's. I mean last night it just froze up while playing a cd, downloading the new itunes, and surfing the web, WTF! Im just over the PC thing and can't afford a Mac but cant wait to get one. I don't want to get you in trouble with work but any advice from anyone about how to accidently break mine to the point where they junk it out so I can get a mac would be great!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.
[/QUOTE]

That toshiba didn't cost anywhere near the $2500 price of a new 17" MBP so even if you did manage to do this and get away with it, you wouldn't be getting a new MBP out of the deal. They don't give you whatever you want as a replacement, if an identical model isn't available, they will give you the closest one in specs, and that sure isn't a $2500 MBP. They have a gazillion $749 17" Dells and that's what you'd get.

They replace based on the depreciated value, not purchase price.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
After reading the T&C, I'd say go with Apple and add to a HO's policy. My experiene wit. BB's service has been less than satisfactory. It took three tries to get an iPod fixed and even after that they still said since I can't repeat the issue in-store it wasn't their issue. It's left a bad taste in my mouth.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...any advice from anyone about how to accidently break mine to the point where they junk it out so I can get a mac would be great!

why don't you just go to a BB store and try to steal one? that's the nature of what you're proposing, after all. I'm constantly amazed at how many young people (yeah, i'm making to an assumption) feel no shame at displaying the gaps in their integrity.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Might've missed this point... but why don't you just put a lock on your door? It costs like 10-20 bucks and protects your entire room...

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hi!

snip...

The average turn around time is 2 1/2 weeks sooner if it's a quick fix and parts are on hand. There are no real crazy terms in the T&C.

...snip

I too have had good success with Bestbuy, however, that turnaround time is a deal killer for most folks. Most Apple repairs are only a few days including getting the box and shipping time. Also, the AASC near me usually turns repairs around in 2-3 days. 2-3 weeks is just too slow.

Cheers,

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
AppleCare no questions asked.
If you want accident protection, put the computer under a real insurance policy. You can ask your parents about getting it covered with your family's insurer. This normally costs around $50-200 upfront and sometimes a $50 deductible with a claim, but these plans can sometimes cover theft as well.
Keep in mind there is no such thing as an AppleCare replacement, only an AppleCare supplement.

macjiro

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
i've never had a prob with BB when it comes to product repairs/replacement. If that BB deal had a longer term..i would then go with it. Its mainly just about the deal to me.

5280m

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
get applecare and a private insurance policy for your laptop for about 30 bucks a year.

dixie318

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Southern USA
I'm writing this from my brand new Macbook Pro and I'm in love. I called BB this afternoon and was informed that they got 4 in this morning, two of which had already sold. I asked them to hold one for me, went down, bought it (and saw the last one sell while I was waiting in line). I'm tickled pink. I ended up going with the one year $100 ADH plan, and I plan on getting AppleCare later this year. I'm very happy with my decision and thank everyone for their advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.