Best Buy Buy Back Program

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ilovemyibook, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ilovemyibook macrumors regular

Just thought I would share... I bought my iPad at BestBuy and with this program I might look into purchasing my iPad 2 there.

Because you're a valued Best Buy® customer, I want to personally tell you about a program we're launching during the "big game" this Sunday, Feb. 6. It's called the Buy Back Program and we're announcing it in a commercial during the third quarter, with stars like Justin Bieber and Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.

Buy Back is essentially "future-proofing" your technology. You purchase the technology you want today, and we'll buy it back at a set price when you're ready to upgrade to something new. You'll know upfront what your gear will be worth, and you can conveniently redeem your Buy Back at our stores and immediately receive a Best Buy Gift Card.

You already enjoy Reward Zone® benefits, and I hope you consider the advantages that Buy Back can provide. We're excited to introduce it in a big way on "big game" day. Be sure to tune in and learn more.

Thank you—we sincerely appreciate your business,

Brian J. Dunn
    CEO, Best Buy Co., Inc.

2. WLS macrumors 65816

I got that email too but there are lots of questions unanswered.
    I've heard that the set price is half so while that sets a floor for the resale value it is not all that much. I think I can do better on an ipad sale. I've been thinking on doing a preorder but I'll have to weigh buying it from BB depending on the details of this offer when announced.

3. eaweber1 macrumors newbie

eaweber1

I was in BB a week buying a TV and the kid explained it to me. Its not a bad program for the right person....its not for everyone but for technology junkies that want the latest its pretty sweet. Anyways...why I will get my ipad2 at BB is because of the extended warranty they have. I asked about it when I was there and they said it covers anything besides total destruction of the ipad...even if you crack the screen or spill a drink on it. I'll have to check Apple Care but that sounds pretty good.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yup, I can't see them 'buying back' at anywhere near the price an ipad will fetch on ebay second hand. It's a bit more work, but not much. I'd take maybe $50 less not to hassle with it and shipping..

apparently $50 is my magic number today for some reason.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Gamestop has been testing something similar in a few markets, where they offer a buy-back price when you buy a new game from them. Unfortunately, that price is directly tied to the age of the product at the time of the buy-back. 90 days out....you get something like 30% of the retail value and it drops rapidly thereafter.

Given how quickly hardware tech becomes obsolete, I would imagine BB will do something very similar and offer you very little relative value. They won't take into consideration things like market scarcity/popularity either. Those last two factors do just as much towards keeping used Apple product values higher than they deserve to be. I got almost full retail value of my used 64gig WiFi iPad a full 6 months after buying it.

6. elmo151 Guest

I wonder if AT&T would be equally magnanimous

7. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Seems like a good plan. Those who just want to turn around for a new device can just turn the item back in without any hassle. Otherwise to eBay or CL with it!

Also that the commercial will have Bieber makes me want to not use this promotion.

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

So in essence...it's like a rental program? Use something for a short time then trade it in... like a car? Interesting concept? I wonder what BB will do with all that hardware?

Would you get more back after depreciation by selling thru classified ad venue like Craigs list?

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

If they pay me $450+ for my iPad I'll use it otherwise nope... I'm better off selling it on Ebay. Don't bother quoting me

10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

It's free this week otherwise you pay for this....:eek:

11. WLS macrumors 65816

Yea it's "free" until Feb 12th!. WTF??
    and they only pay "up to 50%"?
    It might be nice to have as a floor for when you want to upgrade but a little effort will get you 75% or more back with other options.

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

up to 50%? no thanks.
    You're better off selling on ebay/craigslist

13. doboy macrumors 68000

This is a stupid program, especially for smartphones and Apple products such as an iPad. They pay only 50% within 6 months and I can get much more even selling my iPad to Gazelle even after 10 months of use. Worst of all, it'll cost money to be in this stupid program after initial free period.

14. josh1231 macrumors regular

Worst Plan Ever!

This is seriously the worst plan ever.

50% month 1-6
    40% 7-12
    30% 13-18
    20% 19-24
    10% 24-48, only on t.v.'s

So, who here thinks in 24 months their $3000 3d led tv will only be worth $300? Who would ever pay for this.

Or who's going to purchase a plan that pays them $1000 after 6 months for their 17" macbook pro.

I like my buyback plan better, Ebay!