Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131543-best_buy_logo.jpg

Late last week, a rumor surfaced that a major retailer presumed to be Best Buy had decided to equip all of its on-floor sales employees with iPads in order to promote the company's "Connected World" concept. But according to The Wall Street Journal, the program is much more modest than originally suggested and not limited to the iPad.
Sorry Best Buy salespeople, your employer isn't planning to give each of you an iPad.

But the retailing giant says it is studying a variety of devices for its employees to use on the job, including the Galaxy Tab from Samsung, the original iPad and Motorola Mobility's Xoom. The devices are being tested as part of Best Buy's "Connected Store" pilot program, which is available in limited stores and is geared at getting customers hands-on experience with gadgets, similar to the Apple Store.

"While we plan in the future to supply each store a limited number of handheld devices to use as sales tools when assisting the consumer, we have not many any final decision at this time," a Best Buy representative said.
According to the original report from Forbes that sparked the speculation, Best Buy is currently trialling the "Connected" store concept in 27 locations, but could expand it across the company's vast network of retail stores around the country.

Article Link: Best Buy Clarifies Sales Floor iPad Program

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Kudos to Best Buy for getting out in front of this story & correcting it.

Apple could learn from Best Buy, since Apples ways are:

1) hide & say nothing
2) deny, deny, deny
3) spin it to suit them

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hopefully if Best Buy does this, they also update that horrible back-end the employees attempt to use while attempting to help the customer. While I don't always find Best Buy employees to be that knowledgable about the products, that system would confuse anyone about trying to find if something is in stock, etc.

If they just make portable devices available to use that horrible system, it won't be doing customers any favors. Currently, asking for help at Best Buy is usually not only a waste of time, but generally misleading as well (they often find the wrong thing in that system).

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I don't see what having these devices will do for them unless they make software for them to help with different sales tasks easily. If they make software, then they'll need to pick their platform.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Yeah I am not sure how this move would help Best Buy employees either, but I could see Apple liquidating 1st Gen iPads to Best Buy. I am still not sure why you would want one of those other tablets especially now that they cost about 2x as much as an iPad. And what will the retail employees be able to do with it? Check inventory? Product info?

Reebok4523

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They could use them like apple uses iPhones to check out customers. Last time I purchased something from apple the employee worked with me the whole time and used the iPhone to get product info/stock of the things I wanted. Then I payed for the stuff right there in the middle of the store on the iPhone. It was awesome no lines no waiting. That should be the future of shopping. Apple prob uses iPads now and that is what best buy prob wants to use iPads for in there store. No more long lines holding heavy items at best buy cause we all know they always have long lines to wait in.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Are you f-n kidding me?! i filled out the stupid application and got a job Just so i could get my iPad. And you telling me the story isn't true. [Expeletive]! [Expeletive]! [Expeletive]! {looks at clock and realizes, he is late for orientation}

I'm just kidding. I don't work at Best Buy. But if you applied at BB to get the iPad 2 and now you are late for work...GET your lazy butt to the store and start stacking those boxes! I don't get my iPad, I will not be very pleasant.

emodro

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
The fact that people even believed that they were going to get an ipad for personal use is stupid. Best buy employees have their blue shirts deducted from their first pay check, and they dont get any discounts on apple products. The store discount is nice for tv's cables and accessories, but for anything else it sucks. Why would a company give ipads to it's employees and not $5 shirts?.

I find this funny because none of Best Buys in my area even have public WiFi! I find this laughable for a "technology store".

no best buys have free public wifi, they do have hidden networks for their computers.
i believe TEHTubez is the unsecured WPATubez is wpa (WorldDominate is the pw). Could have been just my store, but i heard it was a district wide thing.

worst year of my life.

Still curious as to why Best Try would provide tablets to it's employees...Maybe BB should spend that money educating their employees about consumer electronics....my favorite Best Try story was when I asked (2009) the Magnolia Room employee if they had any tv's that handled 24p well...he replied "uh, actually we only have 720p and 1080p TVs". I just said "thank you" and walked away in total depression.

Francisco X

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure what they call it in the retail business but the reason they are squashing the rumors isn't because they care about the general public knowing the truth but more about Samsung, Motorola and RIM not being able to bid on the contract. I'm sure somebody can explain it better than I but the the bottom line is they have to back pedal now.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007

1) hide & say nothing
2) deny, deny, deny
3) spin it to suit them

Or maybe BestBuy
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=BBY+Interactive#symbol=BBY;range=5y
should learn from Apple
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#symbol=AAPL;range=5y

Accurate information about future plans is not necessarily a good thing. It gives your competitors a chance to counter and, if they're willing to invest, even outpace, turning your bold initiative into a late-to-the-table catchup game. Apple lets the rumor mill mill away, unless they get things extremely wrong, which builds intrigue. It's why we come to this site, and will likely NEVER visit bbyrumors.com

Last edited:

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
I'm not sure what they call it in the retail business but the reason they are squashing the rumors isn't because they care about the general public knowing the truth but more about Samsung, Motorola and RIM not being able to bid on the contract. I'm sure somebody can explain it better than I but the the bottom line is they have to back pedal now.

Bingo!
BB probably got a call from someone saying that they would gladly pay BB to use their pad instead of iPad...

iboyindigo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
Kudos to Best Buy for getting out in front of this story & correcting it.

1) hide & say nothing
2) deny, deny, deny
3) spin it to suit them

As a former store manager for Best Buy, I hope Apple learns nothing from them. They take advantage of their employees and investors and are running their own company into the ground

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.