Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a string of emails about delayed shipments sent to pre-order customers of the Apple Watch Series 2 and iPhone 7 earlier in the week, Best Buy this morning has begun sending out notifications to a few users who pre-ordered the Apple Watch Series 1, informing them that the new shipping date is October 13, nearly a month after the devices launch today to the public.

best-buy-series-1-800x815.jpg
Image via blkngld on Reddit

Apple isn't mentioned in the email as it was in the email sent to Series 2 customers, but Best Buy is saying that "the item listed below is taking longer to fulfill than we anticipated," then providing the new October 13 date. In the same thread on Reddit, some users are mentioning earlier estimated dates, but only by a few days, including October 10. As Redditor u8miladoo said:
Again, this is for the Series 1 , i pre ordered it since day 1. Smdh. Never again Best Buy. Funny thing is , it is letting me do a store pick up pre order and it says available for my store near me. Im thinking to just do another transaction , get it in store and cancel the other one. What a nightmare.
Instead of the gift card offer given to Series 2 and iPhone 7 customers, Best Buy is appearing to simply offer paying for "the amount of shipping" on each order, which will be applied whenever the order moves to shipping status. For u8miladoo, that amounts to $12.97 in credit.

A few Best Buy locations are said to have Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 1 stock when the stores begin opening this morning, so there's a chance online pre-order customers with pushed-back shipping dates can purchase their Apple Watch in store, and then cancel the order online when they get home. Since the stores haven't opened yet, however, no one has tried out this method to success.

Article Link: Best Buy Delaying Some Apple Watch Series 1 Pre-Orders to Mid-October

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Wtf. This can't be all Best Buy...how much blame goes to apple?

Best Buy is doing this with the iPhone 7's as well - would not be surprised to learn they got some sweetheart deal from Apple (better margins etc.) by agreeing to wait on deliveries (either after they took launch day orders or before but kept saying they'd have them launch day). I remember on pre-order day they were saying they could still get stock for today...

This will drive those customers away (long term) who put big dollar orders in - dumb on Best Buy's part. I'd cancel on principle as well.

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
This is why I refuse to preorder from "Best" Buy. I preordered the 3DS XL Majora's Mask from them, and they outright cancelled days before it was going to release saying "we over estimated the quantity of the order" (paraphrasing). Seems they still haven't learned.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The article should be titled " Best Buy Delaying some Apple Watch Series 2 Pre-Orders to Mid-October" correct?

Not trying to be picky, just an observation

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
This is why I refuse to preorder from "Best" Buy. I preordered the 3DS XL Majora's Mask from them, and they outright cancelled days before it was going to release saying "we over estimated the quantity of the order" (paraphrasing). Seems they still haven't learned.

I had the same thing happen with Forza Motorsport 4 Collector's Edition in Oct. 2011. Havent pre-ordered anything from them since.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's about the same time frame Apple predicts the Apple Watch to deliver as well. Not a substantial difference in dates. Best Buy is at least notifying the customer of the issue.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
My bad - I was unaware that the "Series 1" was even available for a pre-order. Isn't it the same watch that's been out for 1+ years?

Series 1 is technically a new product. Basically the same watch that's been out but with the new processor from the Series 2. Most people are referring to the original, now discontinued, watch as S0 or Series 0.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
My bad - I was unaware that the "Series 1" was even available for a pre-order. Isn't it the same watch that's been out for 1+ years?

The Series 1 includes the new processor that is also in the Series 2.
I think the un-official term for the watch that's been out for 1+years is "Series β"

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Series 1 is technically a new product. Basically the same watch that's been out but with the new processor from the Series 2. Most people are referring to the original, now discontinued, watch as S0 or Series 0.

Thanks, I missed the part where they put a new processor in it.

Reactions: iClone

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wonder if someone at Best Buy somehow messed up the ordering process for the company and that's why they're being delayed. I seem to recall a similar thing happen in the last few years as well... just can't remember who it was.

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Watch out. They ran my credit card again last night prior to sending the delay message.

They knew exactly what they were doing. Giving a false ship date they knew they couldn't possibly meet in order to capture more sales.

A month delay announced on ship day?

They KNOW if it were to arrive today, it would have to have shipped in the last two days and they send us an email this morning?

This isn't an accident. This is pre-order policy.
[doublepost=1474036015][/doublepost]Even if 50-75% of the people cancel, that's still thousands of orders they captured and would not have gotten if they were honest.

Given the prices of the series 1 and adding in the "delayed" series 2, equals millions in sales they would have had to give up.

Too much money. Especially if you're the person counting on this quarter's sales numbers.

So lie, figure wouldn't lose too many customers long run and roll the dice. Asses.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I wonder if someone at Best Buy somehow messed up the ordering process for the company and that's why they're being delayed. I seem to recall a similar thing happen in the last few years as well... just can't remember who it was.

Target is having the exact same issues. I think Apple is involved and at least partially to blame. Target changed my date from 9/16 (which it showed up until I went to bed last night) to 9/29-10/12 and sent a $50 gift card just like Best Buy is doing. Too much of a coincidence that both Target and Best Buy are having the exact same issues, exact same (new) estimated shipping times, and the exact same response by sending customers $50 GC's.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Goodness. This is exactly why I will continue to refer to this retailer as Worst Buy.

macconservative

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Goodness. This is exactly why I will continue to refer to this retailer as Worst Buy.
[doublepost=1474037495][/doublepost]Just another reason why I got away from the launch day purchasing
[doublepost=1474037589][/doublepost]
I have just never liked the way Best Buy does their phone pre orders. Last time I bought a launch day phone from Best Buy still had to wait in the long line at the mobile counter even though the purchase was already completed.

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Years ago, before I purchased my first iPhone (4S), I was on Blackberry. In trying to hunt down a newly released Blackberry, I ordered from Best Buy for same day store pickup. I drove across town to the store only to find out they had none in stock. Best Buy has become an anachronism.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Demand/supply mismatch. Not the end of the world.

Unless... Is Best Buy still going to exist in mid-October?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.