Best Buy Delaying Some Apple Watch Series 1 Pre-Orders to Mid-October

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After a string of emails about delayed shipments sent to pre-order customers of the Apple Watch Series 2 and iPhone 7 earlier in the week, Best Buy this morning has begun sending out notifications to a few users who pre-ordered the Apple Watch Series 1, informing them that the new shipping date is October 13, nearly a month after the devices launch today to the public.

[​IMG]
    Image via blkngld on Reddit

Apple isn't mentioned in the email as it was in the email sent to Series 2 customers, but Best Buy is saying that "the item listed below is taking longer to fulfill than we anticipated," then providing the new October 13 date. In the same thread on Reddit, some users are mentioning earlier estimated dates, but only by a few days, including October 10. As Redditor u8miladoo said:
    Instead of the gift card offer given to Series 2 and iPhone 7 customers, Best Buy is appearing to simply offer paying for "the amount of shipping" on each order, which will be applied whenever the order moves to shipping status. For u8miladoo, that amounts to $12.97 in credit.

A few Best Buy locations are said to have Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 1 stock when the stores begin opening this morning, so there's a chance online pre-order customers with pushed-back shipping dates can purchase their Apple Watch in store, and then cancel the order online when they get home. Since the stores haven't opened yet, however, no one has tried out this method to success.

Article Link: Best Buy Delaying Some Apple Watch Series 1 Pre-Orders to Mid-October

2. iClone macrumors regular

I would cancel my order and find one somewhere else.

3. Mansu944 macrumors 6502a

Wtf. This can't be all Best Buy...how much blame goes to apple?

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

This launch is kind of a mess in terms of overall product inventory.

5. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Best Buy is doing this with the iPhone 7's as well - would not be surprised to learn they got some sweetheart deal from Apple (better margins etc.) by agreeing to wait on deliveries (either after they took launch day orders or before but kept saying they'd have them launch day). I remember on pre-order day they were saying they could still get stock for today...

This will drive those customers away (long term) who put big dollar orders in - dumb on Best Buy's part. I'd cancel on principle as well.

6. 34 Volt macrumors regular

34 Volt

This is why I refuse to preorder from "Best" Buy. I preordered the 3DS XL Majora's Mask from them, and they outright cancelled days before it was going to release saying "we over estimated the quantity of the order" (paraphrasing). Seems they still haven't learned.

7. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

The article should be titled " Best Buy Delaying some Apple Watch Series 2 Pre-Orders to Mid-October" correct?

Not trying to be picky, just an observation

8. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Seems right to me...

9. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

I had the same thing happen with Forza Motorsport 4 Collector's Edition in Oct. 2011. Havent pre-ordered anything from them since.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's about the same time frame Apple predicts the Apple Watch to deliver as well. Not a substantial difference in dates. Best Buy is at least notifying the customer of the issue.

11. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

My bad - I was unaware that the "Series 1" was even available for a pre-order. Isn't it the same watch that's been out for 1+ years?

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Series 1 is technically a new product. Basically the same watch that's been out but with the new processor from the Series 2. Most people are referring to the original, now discontinued, watch as S0 or Series 0.

13. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

The Series 1 includes the new processor that is also in the Series 2.
    I think the un-official term for the watch that's been out for 1+years is "Series β"

14. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I missed the part where they put a new processor in it.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I wonder if someone at Best Buy somehow messed up the ordering process for the company and that's why they're being delayed. I seem to recall a similar thing happen in the last few years as well... just can't remember who it was.

16. dieselm macrumors member

Watch out. They ran my credit card again last night prior to sending the delay message.

They knew exactly what they were doing. Giving a false ship date they knew they couldn't possibly meet in order to capture more sales.

A month delay announced on ship day?

They KNOW if it were to arrive today, it would have to have shipped in the last two days and they send us an email this morning?

This isn't an accident. This is pre-order policy.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    Even if 50-75% of the people cancel, that's still thousands of orders they captured and would not have gotten if they were honest.

Given the prices of the series 1 and adding in the "delayed" series 2, equals millions in sales they would have had to give up.

Too much money. Especially if you're the person counting on this quarter's sales numbers.

So lie, figure wouldn't lose too many customers long run and roll the dice. Asses.

17. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Target is having the exact same issues. I think Apple is involved and at least partially to blame. Target changed my date from 9/16 (which it showed up until I went to bed last night) to 9/29-10/12 and sent a $50 gift card just like Best Buy is doing. Too much of a coincidence that both Target and Best Buy are having the exact same issues, exact same (new) estimated shipping times, and the exact same response by sending customers $50 GC's.

18. spencers macrumors 68020

Goodness. This is exactly why I will continue to refer to this retailer as Worst Buy.

19. macconservative macrumors regular

Just another reason why I got away from the launch day purchasing
    I have just never liked the way Best Buy does their phone pre orders. Last time I bought a launch day phone from Best Buy still had to wait in the long line at the mobile counter even though the purchase was already completed.

20. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Years ago, before I purchased my first iPhone (4S), I was on Blackberry. In trying to hunt down a newly released Blackberry, I ordered from Best Buy for same day store pickup. I drove across town to the store only to find out they had none in stock. Best Buy has become an anachronism.

21. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Demand/supply mismatch. Not the end of the world.

Unless... Is Best Buy still going to exist in mid-October?

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I would try to get mine at another place besides the Apple store, but I have an Apple $750 gift card to use....

23. Bbafett macrumors 6502

My Best Buy had tons of series one available but no series 2 unfortunately. Tried two stores.