Best Buy Discounts on MBP / MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disarticulate, Sep 25, 2011.

1. disarticulate, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

disarticulate macrumors regular

I was at Best Buy for the first time in a long time earlier today and they had the MBP and MBA discounted. I asked the girl working in computers if she knew how long they had been discounted and she didn't offer any help.

I've read threads on here where BB is price matching to Apple's education discount (edit: and throwing in gift card to match App Store Credit), but with the back to school promotion now out of season I'm trying to figure out these discounts.

MBP 15 2.0GHz i7 -- 1709.99
    MBP 15 2.2GHz i7 -- 1999.99

The MBAs were anywhere from $75 to $100 off.

Have these discounts been going on for a while and I've just missed them because of my disdain for BB, or is this something new (post education discount)?

Here's the full price list online ---> BB MBP Link

2. azxr macrumors member

I don't know about the BB prices, but the education discount has not gone away and is available year round. What is no longer available is the $100 Apple Store credit that was a promotional offer. That ended on September 20th.

The base 15" sells for $1699 while the higher end 15: sells for $1999. See screen shot below.

Attached Files:

3. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

Oops! Ya I meant the back to school promotional offer, but misspoke by saying education discount.

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Apple Refurbs Are Worth A Look...

Average 15% discount. There are at least two 2011 15" MBPs listed as of Sunday 9-25-11.

That's going to be the best deal right now. If you can wait for the anticipated "speed bump" rumored to be coming by the end of the year you can probably snag a brand new MBP for a better price.

If you attend a college with a bookstore prices on discontinued Macs can be had at great prices... I've purchased brand new iMacs at 40% off.

5. VABuckeye macrumors newbie

The Best Buy sale began today. It was in this weekends flyer. Only expect the discount at Best Buy for a week or so.

6. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a med student, so I'm not sure if I qualify for the pricing at the undergrad campus computer store. Still, I just checked the prices and they are only $4 cheaper than education discount (across the board).

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I was referring to prices of discontinued Macs when new models are released. Some bookstores participate and some do not... Does your bookstore carry Macs in stock or do you just order through the bookstore? I have only seen the kind of deals that I am referring to in bookstores that stock Macs, like the University of Oregon and UCLA bookstores.

For example, the 24" iMac that I am using right now cost me $1100 vs. $2000 MSRP. And the deal included a free $149 iPod Nano or $149 off another iPod; I got a Classic iPod for $100.

These kinds of deals tend to go fast. If your bookstore sells Macs it's worth checking to see if they carry discontinued Macs.