Best Buy doesn't carry the new MBP (yet) :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyloo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. heyloo macrumors 6502

After a ton of looking around and struggling whether to buy a MBA or MBP, I decided to go for the MBP route. While I am still pretty tempted to snatch up the MBA, the durability factor and...well I don't really need the portability as I don't carry it around too much. The MBA does run on an SSD, but coming from Macbook 1,1 Black, I think the upgrade to either model is pretty significant for me ;)

Anyway, I'm going to use the Trade-In program at Best Buy and trade-in both my Mac Mini and Macbook, hence the dilemma. Best Buy carries MBA but doesn't yet carry the new MBP...I checked with the store and CS, apparently they don't have an ETA of when things will be coming from Apple.

So the question is: Do any of you know 'when' Best Buy might be getting these newly updated models? I'd love to just stop by the Apple Store but Trade-In locks me in with Best Buy gift card so that isn't an option... (BB is offering me more than what eBay Instant Sale would give me so I'm going the BB route) Say for like the MBA update this summer, does anyone know when BB refreshed their stocks?

Thanks!! :)

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I would say mid next week. I know it wasn't that long after the new Air's/Mini's were out stores like BB had them. Next Friday at the latest.

3. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

I am also upset there are no new MBP at bestbuy. I have a $699 store credit because my laptop died, I want to buy the new 15".

What also sucks is that I want the hires+anti glare configuration which they also don't offer since they say its ("specialty")

Another bummer is that you cannot buy gift cards with store credit, or id buy 70 $10 gift cards and then cash them out.

Moral of the story is don't ever buy from bestbuy.

4. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

My local Best Buy had the new model base 13" in stock, but I wound up buying the early 2011 model since it was an open box with a significant price drop.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

those trade in things arent even worth it. its such a rip off

go to the apple store, they have em in stock

6. maximus5403 macrumors newbie

maximus5403

My best buy had the new model on release day. I just got my 15" 2.4 today and they had 3 of those models in stock, and they are on sale...

7. Mersailios macrumors regular

It usually takes authorized resellers a week or so to receive new models, or at least that seems to be how things go here in Canada.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

BEst Buy will not give you as much as you could sell it for.

Sell them items yourself, the go to Apple and buy what you want.

9. heyloo thread starter macrumors 6502

@dmk1974 They did? Hmph, corporate told me that they don't have it in their system yet, and same with my local store...I guess I'll stop by and check tomorrow.

Speaking of the early 2011 model, Apple® - MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive Apple® - MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive ? They did have these in stock...but haven't asked about the open box. What does BB do about 'outdated' versions that are new? I wonder if they would be willing to sell for open box price...regardless, the only change with the 13" was the speed bump right?
    @dmk1974 Would you mind if I asked how much you paid for it for the open box? I might actually consider just buying the open box...

----------

I hear you guys, I would sell them off on eBay but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of listing them up, also with the Paypal cut, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra time and effort.

Best Buy's offering $355 for my Macbook Core Duo and it looks like on eBay the going price seems to be ~$390, so I don't think it would make too much of a difference in the end :confused:

If I decide to go for the 0.1GHz speed bumped new model, I may as well just wait a week longer...that said, does anyone know if I could talk to one of the BB guys and ask if they would be willing to sell the 'older' model at a discount being that the new one's out?

10. maximus5403 macrumors newbie

maximus5403

The old models are put on clearance, open box items price will vary as it is up to the manager for pricing. Typically 5-10% off. Most of the older models have already been sold as most stores were sold out up until the new release.

11. kvtp macrumors newbie

I bought the base 15 inch MBP the day before they released the new ones hah, but I've called yesterday and today and both different people ask and seem to have the same answers: it'll be here soon

12. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

My local BB had the new 13" in. I just picked one up tonight!!

Has a bigger HD than my Mac Mini. Loving it so far.

They are starting to trickle into the Best Buy stores.

13. heyloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the all the replies :D This being the MBP forum, I suppose is the reason why people aren't pushing me to go for the MBA lol.

It's nice to hear that the new models are trickling in - I'm not sure why it's not showing up on the online inventory... :( I suppose I'll drop by the store and ask if they got anything.

14. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Let me know what you find. I've called a few but they seem to think the early 2011 one is the newest.

15. heyloo thread starter macrumors 6502

At the Best Buy right now and I may be leaning toward the MBA side of things...I've coming from PowerBook and MacBook side of things and MBA does look pretty tempting indeed. I'm checking out the open box for the MBA, let's see..and yup C2D model, not what I want. And this BB doesn't have the new MBPs either..

16. paperinacup macrumors 6502

:-(. My 14th day to return my MBP is sunday. I guess I'll just return it sunday and wait until they get the new ones.

17. heyloo thread starter macrumors 6502

Brought back home a new MBA 13". It's running Migration Assistant right now and should be done within the hour. Pretty excited :)

My Best Buy did not have the new MBPs in, unfortunately. They actually didn't know about the new models and kept referring back to the early 2011 models that they had.

Also, regarding open box at BB...well my first time going for it and while on the phone they told me that they had 2 13" MBAs available, they neglected to mention that they were both C2D models sheesh... Drive extra 30 miles round trip when my closest BB with a new MBA is only 5 miles away. Well, I got my :apple: and now excited about this jump from MacBook 1,1 to this fella :)

Thanks for all the replies :)