Best Buy Doorbuster Event Day 18: Apple Watch Series 2 Stainless Steel Models Starting at $349

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the 18th day of Best Buy's 20 Days of Doorbusters holiday shopping event, and brings with it a $200 discount on the original price of the higher-end, stainless steel models of last year's Apple Watch Series 2. While stainless steel cases were occasionally marked down this season, aluminum models tend to get the heaviest discounts, so Best Buy's sale prices are definitely a good opportunity for anyone who's been looking for a non-Sport Apple Watch and who doesn't mind owning a previous generation device.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The models appear to be selling fast, with some requiring you to find a nearby store for stock since they are sold out online. The full list of Series 2 models on sale is below:
    [*]42mm Stainless Steel Case and White Sport Band - $349.00, down from $549.00
    [*]42mm Space Black Stainless Steel Case and Space Black Sport Band - $349.00, down from $549.00
    [*]38mm Stainless Steel Case and Milanese Loop Band - $399.00, down from $599.00
    [*]42mm Stainless Steel Case and Milanese Loop Band - $449.00, down from $649.00
    [*]38mm Space Black Stainless Steel Case and Space Black Milanese Loop Band - $449.00, down from $649.00
    [*]42mm Space Black Stainless Steel Case and Space Black Milanese Loop Band - $499.00, down from $699.00
    [*]38mm White Ceramic Case and White Sport Band - $949.00, down from $1,149.00
    Although not part of the Doorbuster event, Best Buy also has $50 off the aluminum Series 1 models this week, knocking down 38mm to $199.00 and 42mm to $229.00. Right now, Target is beating those prices with 38mm at $179.99 and 42mm at $209.99 while supplies last. Additionally, Best Buy has savings of up to $150 on select MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and 12-inch MacBook devices.

For those interested, the headlining Doorbuster item today are the Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, priced at $149.99, down from $279.99.

Our exclusive promo code for 15 percent off any full-priced item at Nomad has also been extended to December 20, giving you an extra couple of days to shop the retailer's website for accessories like Apple Watch stands, iPhone X cases, and more. Visit our blog post for more information on the exclusive promotion, and then place your order at Nomad before 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday to get your discount.

Anyone looking for deals on Mac software might be interested in a 20 percent off sale on Affinity's creative apps Affinity Photo (Mac, iPad, and Windows) and Affinity Designer (Mac and Windows). Developer Serif announced today that this discount will run through January 5 for all versions of its apps on Mac, iOS, and Windows PC.

The price brings the desktop apps to $39.99, down from $49.99, while Affinity Photo on iPad is getting an extra 25 percent discount and will run for $14.99 from the iOS App Store during the sale [Direct Link]. Here is a quick description of each app from Serif:
    For those keeping an eye on Best Buy's sale as it winds down this week, tomorrow will see a discount on MacBook and on the last day the retailer will mark down a big-screen smart 4K TV. Make sure to head over to our full Deals Roundup to stay updated on these sales and more as the holiday shopping season continues.

Article Link: Best Buy Doorbuster Event Day 18: Apple Watch Series 2 Stainless Steel Models Starting at $349
  2. redscull macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2010
    Might be last year’s model, but it’s the latest steel model without the red dot on the crown.
  3. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Jul 9, 2008
    That's actually not true. Series 3 is faster with or without the red dot.

Series 3:
    Processor Apple S3 and Apple W2
    Number of Cores 2
    Architecture 32-bit
    Built-in Memory 512 MB

Series 2:
    Processor Apple S2
    Processor Speed 780 MHz
    Number of Cores2
    Built-in Memory512 MB

The S3 is supposedly 70% faster than the S2...and as an S2 owner, WatchOS4 without a doubt slowed down my watch. It's easily 50% slower in my use. I don't want LTE and but am not happy with the performance of the watch now. Unfortunately, I paid $1099 for a Series 0 SS + SB Link and $699 for a Series 2 SS w/ Black sport band (reusing my SS Band from Series 0).

I wouldn't buy a Series 2 Apple Watch today. Watch OS 5 next year is going to slow it down even further.
  4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    A bit pricey for old tech. Make no mistake, that is ultimately what you are buying here. All AW's are the same on the inside, model for model.
  5. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2011
    Bay Area, Ca
    I returned my SS AW3 and picked up a 2 month old SS AW2 with AC plus on it until 11/2019 off eBay for $ 249 - wore it one week and it started to get condensation under the glass in the mornings - AC replaced it free without using my incidents

My reason for returning it was I didn’t use the LTE feature once after the initial test call in the 28 days
  6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    I've been wanting a 42mm Space Black SS and for what I use the watch for, the Series 3 just isn't worth the $300 price premium, so I ordered one of these. These are brand new units priced $120 lower than what Apple charges for a refurb, so for those of us that have been holding out, this is likely as low as they are going to get before they're gone.
  7. cknibbs macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012

I think you misunderstood. They were not saying it is identical to the series 3 but without a red dot, they were saying it is the best SS Apple Watch you can buy that doesn’t have the red dot.

Maybe I’m the only one, but I’d love a non-LTE version of the SS Series 3. The difference between the Sport and the SS is night and day. When I had a sport it always felt like a device on my wrist and eventually I almost sold it. Instead I took a look at the SS models and they actually feel like a watch. I won’t ever be able to go back to the sport after the SS.
  8. erinsarah macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2011
    Not sure I could justify $349 for a steel AW2, versus $359 for an aluminum AW3.
  9. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2010
    Mud Island (Memphis), TN
    They are going crazy fast, I waited 10 minutes to decide and the black SS with sport band is gone. Would have been a gift to my better half that is still rocking a S0 aluminum that was a gift two Christmas's ago. Good thing I have already purchased other gifts for him.

This talk about slow watch OS's crack me up. Do people really use these things for anything else beside a watch and phone notifications on the wrist? Oh and a timer? We don't, both using S0's with latest WatchOS's and haven't seen any difference with the latest Watch OS's but we only use them for those things I mentioned.
  10. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2009
    London, UK
    At this price, it's a steel!
  11. page3 macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2003
    Vicar of Dibley-land, UK
    If only we had some decent offers for the SS in the UK. I'd love to upgrade my S0 but don't need Mobile (aka Cellular), but do need stainless steel. Prices have held firm with little or no discounting on old models.
  12. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2010
    Shame this isn’t in the UK as I would buy one at this price to replace my original SS!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2017 ---
    I couldn’t justify not having sapphire either.
  13. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks. I also want a non LTE SS watch. I know I could just not activate the LTE features but I already don't have great cell service up here so the AW3 w/ LTE would do nothing for me.
  14. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2015
    Interesting, I have a series S0 that Watch OS4 actually made mine perform better. Until Watch OS4 was considering upgrade. Agree, Series 2 at this point maybe not the best choice for the long term.
  15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I was the opposite. I can actually justify the cost of the stainless because of the Sapphire. I can attest many times that I have hit the display on something and the Sapphire display has paid for itself with the protection against scratches or scuffs on it. And I have no damage at all to my Apple Watch display because of the Sapphire. So for me, that alone is worth the price tag.
  16. satchmo macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2008
    The problem is finding any in stock in your area. They don't seem to have direct shipping...only store pickup.
  17. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2010
    That’s what I mean sorry, I would never buy the aluminium model because there is no sapphire. Scratches on a watch screen is a BIG, big no no for me.
  18. satchmo macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2008
    No one likes a scratch...but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the chances of getting a major scratch under normal wear on the aluminum watches, is quite low.

Surely Apple has researched and tested these non-sapphire screens. They're so confident to even label them 'Sport' models at one point. They're also used on iPhones and my 3 year old iPhone 6 is practically flawless (although I'm sure there's micro scratches if I shine under a light).

Of course, it's a case by case situation and perhaps if you do extreme sports/work, then a SS model is the way to go.
  19. KazKam macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2011
    I would agree with this. I have a SS S0 and though it wasn't the main reason I bought the SS, it has probably saved my watch face a few times. I've really hit that sucker HARD way more than once and the glass is still flawless.

However, the design of the AW does lend itself to being hit on the face more. All my traditional watches have some sort of raised bezel around the face protecting it somewhat. I hit the AW face on stuff all the time, mostly because the entire face is glass.
  20. euvnairb macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Goleta, CA
    Is anyone's series 2 extremely slow? I'm on the latest firmware and my 2 is extremely slow. It takes forever to navigate the workout app (i.e. move the workout app up and down with a finger). I honestly don't think I would recommend this watch to anyone looking to buy because it's so slow for me.
  21. mriqueen macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2017
    What they don’t say is it was in store only, and good luck finding a store that had them. Live chat and the 1-888 number couldn’t even find one. Looks to me like just a ploy to get you to spend $499 to get the next model up. No thanks, Best Buy.
  22. mlody macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2012
    Windy City
    I bought two one 38 and one 42. Expected delivery Wednesday :)
  23. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Funny, I just picked up a series 2 SS because it was cheap - and I want the new heart rate stuff. After SS you can't go back.
  24. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    The $349 SS models with the sport band were available for online ordering very early in the morning hours, but sold out quickly. After that they were only available in-store. The 42mm Space Black that I ordered is showing that it will arrive via FedEx on Wednesday.