Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I am confused about Best Buy pricing for the higher end RMBP. They currently have a sale ongoing for $2659.99, off from $2799. The representative on the phone, who seemed knowledgeable, told me that there is no additional educational discount of gift card that can be applied to this as the sale price is already below the educational discount.

But that makes this much more expensive than the equivalent at the Apple store. There it costs $2599 with the educational discount, and comes with an additional $100 Back to school gift card, so is effectively $160 less expensive than at Best Buy at $2499.

Is this all correct?

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I am confused about Best Buy pricing for the higher end RMBP. They currently have a sale ongoing for $2659.99, off from $2799. The representative on the phone, who seemed knowledgeable, told me that there is no additional educational discount of gift card that can be applied to this as the sale price is already below the educational discount.

But that makes this much more expensive than the equivalent at the Apple store. There it costs $2599 with the educational discount, and comes with an additional $100 Back to school gift card, so is effectively $160 less expensive than at Best Buy at $2499.

Is this all correct?

Pretty much. You can try and get BB to price-match with Apple for you, but they won't double-dip, and consider yourself lucky if you'd get any kind of reimbursement for not getting the Apple gift card.

If you're a student, getting your computers from Apple for the education discount is usually the best way to do it.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
My Best Buy refused to offer any discounts in store. They directed me to a website that I have to use a valid EDU email address. The college my wife goes to they do not issue emails for students. So I was left with nothing off.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I found a retina at a best buy that wouldn't discount it so I bought it and took the receipt to another BB where I knew that they were discounting it. They did a refund of the difference at the second BB. It's up to the whim of the store manager.

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
I forgot that the misses is a student, any chance apple would issue a refund for the discount, or is that wishful thinking?

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012

Is this all correct?

the most i've received off 2011 MBP was $380 off. $200 for educational and it was on sale. unfortunately the mid-range rMBP, i was only able to get $200 off. thus end price was $2599. no additional gift card or sale price applied. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.