Best Buy Extended Warranty or AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Inkmonkey, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Anyone have experience with both? One better than the other? Or if you buy the BB warranty should you get Applecare anyway?
    Appreciate any input.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AppleCare. Without a doubt.

The Best Buy warranties are a joke, and I've heard horror stories of them not even honoring it.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

My friend said that the best buy thing is good and if your ipod breaks 5 times they'll replace it with a brand new one. He had a 4th Gen and was able to get a video :D

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

If it's just an iPod, I think BB would be fine. Any Mac, 1) I wouldn't get from Best Buy and 2) definitely AppleCare

5. wako macrumors 65816

actually its 4 times and it gets replaced :)

For computers though its even easier, if its the motherboard (logic board) that has something wrong or if the CPU crashes, they will just give you a new one without it being repaired.

One terrible thing about the BestBuy warranty is that it TAKES FOREVER for it to get it fixed. And I mean FOREVER. Its almost outrageous. They may say 2-3 weeks but expect it to be gone for a month.

One interesting thing about the BestBuy warranty you guys might want to know is that you get ONE TIME free battery replacement. They are suppose to take your old battery, but when I did it the they didnt take back the broken one. Im not too sure if they still do it, you should read the fine print because they do change things alot.

My experience wasnt on a mac laptop though, it was a eMachine...

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Oh my bad, 4. But the Bustbuy warrenty sounds good. Does that require that you buy it from bestbuy?

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

apple care at the MOST. BB warranties are BS.

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

But has anyone purchased BB warranty on an Apple computer and tried to use it? Funny how Best Buy sales staff are supposed to be no pressure ... except when it comes to pushing their warranties. Makes me suspicious.

9. wako macrumors 65816

When i worked there basically if you dont sell the warranty plans or whatever other attachments you are suppose to, management would get on your ass about it. If you do a poor job (not selling these plans) they basically force you to quit. This is usually done by only scheduling you once a week and it might be the shortest shift there is.

10. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't you buy it from Best Buy? I see no harm in that. Main reason I am considering it is because I get 10% off my next purchase with their credit card.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Very helpful. Think I'll forgo the BB warranty and just get Applecare near the end of my year.

11. Gandhi macrumors regular

I would not trust the Best Buy Geek Squad to repair my Mac :eek: Buying from there is fine, but get Apple Care. Apple has this un-written rule (that they are very good of honoring) that if your Mac comes in more than 3 times for the same problem, they replace it with a new one on the fourth time.

12. Turkish macrumors 6502

Keep in mind with Best Buy that you'll have technicians who have to be "kinda good" at all brands of computers. With AppleCare, you'll be handing your machine over (in the case of an Apple Store) to someone specifically trained to work on one brand of computer: Apple.

Additionally, Best Buy's "warranty" does not include software support. AppleCare give you unlimited phone support (software and technical) for 3 years. Need to figure out how to place a transition in iMovie? Call AppleCare. Need to configure your e-mail? Call AppleCare. Good luck getting "help" from Best Buy when you need support on the OS.

Despite its various flaws, AppleCare is the way to go when buying a Mac.

13. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

That's because their warranties are almost pure profit. The profit margins on them are huge, because most people end up never using them, or what they do use doesn't cost BB more than what they paid for the warranty. That's especially true for TVs and stereo electronics, which almost never have problems, but is also true for computers.