Best Buy First Gen iPad $150 Off

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stefc93, Mar 14, 2011.

1. stefc93 macrumors regular

I went to my local Best Buy store yesterday to check out iPad 2 and I noticed that in the glass case, there were the first generation iPads. However, unlike the prices on Apple's own website and other third party sites, the 3G models at Best Buy were $150 (at least at my store they are). Seems like even on Best Buy's website, the 16 GB 3G model is $529, the 32 GB 3G is $579, and the 64 GB 3G is $679. Surprisingly, the 64 GB WiFi model is $549.

When one of the salesmen came up to see if I needed any assistance, I just told him I was interested in the iPad and asked him why Best Buy's prices were lower than Apple's for the 3G models and he said that it was because the 3G models don't sell well in that town/area/store.

And now that the iPad 2 came out, they are really trying to get rid of the previous generation models in order to focus on the second generation (IMHO).

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

what town/city are you located in?

$579 for a 32GB and $679 for a 64GB are not bad prices. I have a WiFi only iPad 2 and I am trying to convince myself that I don't need the 3G model when I can tether from my iPhone using HotSpot, but I would like to own one.

3. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clarify, these prices are for the first iPad.

The store is in Hadley, MA. I want to get an iPad 2 16 GB. Don't need 3G; have an iPhone.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I know.

What I meant to say was that for anyone who doesn't need or want an iPad 2 and is fine owning the first generation, $150 on the 3G models is a great deal. But at the same time, I own the iPad 2 WiFi only model and I would like it to be 3G enabled, but I don't need it to be since I own an iPhone from which I can just use HotSpot.

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

not bad 'tall. might be worth a drive to MA this weekend for me :p

6. OMGitworks macrumors member

Did you happen to go to the Holyoke Apple Store on launch day or after. Just wondering if it was a zoo and what their stock was like. My Apple store online order is still in purgatory though I hope it gets moving today. Thanks.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I waited in line at the Holyoke store, got there about 4pm and was about in the middle of the line. I'd estimate about 300-400 people easy. I got up to the Apple store by about 6pm and they were completely out of black ATT units all sizes, so I walked out empty handed. Called a couple of times today and they have zero units in stock and the same old "maybe a shipment will come in" from the reps.

8. OMGitworks macrumors member

Thanks, guess I won't cancel my online order then! :eek: