Best Buy free MobileMe and iWork next week - need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidbeq, Aug 8, 2008.

1. davidbeq macrumors newbie

I've been visiting these forums for the past few weeks as I've been contemplating buying my first Mac. Well, I'm happy to say that I'll be doing it!

So as a new member of these forums, I need some help and advice on what to do.

I just saw a story about Best Buy offering an instant $180 discount when a student buys a Mac, Mobile Me, and iWork next week.

So I need some advice as I plan to buy a the 2.4GHz White MacBook.

I already have an iPhone so I'd really like to get MobileMe. The Apple Store is currently offering $100 off with the education discount and free iPod deal. I really don't need an iPod because I have the iPhone. Besides, I need to go through the hassle of sending in the rebate.

Now with Best Buy, there isn't a discount on the Mac but I can get MobileMe and iWork for free which in my view may be better for school.

Any advice would be helpful. What should I do?

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Dont forgot that in addition to the $100 education discount, you get the $299 iPod rebate but also the $100 printer rebate.

They are discounting MobileMe to around $60, and also offer a $60 discount on Applecare. There might be a discount on iWork also for students, but I did not ask.

3. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

like the person above said, student discount with free ipod touch and a printer is a good deal. you can sell the touch and the printer(if you don't need it) for about $250. the student discount is $100. and i'm sure at your school the iwork is really cheap at the computer store. mine was only $30. As for mobileme, if you realy need it for school, i don't know its your choice.

4. davidbeq thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize there was a printer rebate as well. That's a game changer as that would be useful.

The math is a no brainer as you can get $499 in savings from Apple versus only $180 in savings from Best Buy. I suppose the best thing to do is get the free iPod touch and then sell it.

I appreciate they feedback. Will head down to the Apple Store tomorrow!

Thanks

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

PLUS Best Buy is offering 2 years interest free financing, I don't feel like calculating the interest but I'd say the total savings at Best Buy is comparable to the total savings at Apple once you take this into account.

If you want to go a step further, assuming you have the cash put that into a high interest savings account and let the interest accrue for 2 years while making minimum payments. This would require discipline to not touch it.

Or if you were to use your own credit card you can save on that interest.

Here is what I calculated the costs would be

Best Buy

Purchase Price 1,299.00
    Mobile Me 99.00
    iWork 79.00
    Subtotal 1,477.00
    Tax 7% 103.39
    Discount -180.00
    Total 1,400.39

0% financing + Compound Interest Earned at 3% which would be just under $100 (estimated) after 2 years

Apple

Purchase Price 1,199.00
    iPod Touch 299.00
    Mobile Me 99.00
    iWork 79.00
    Printer 99.00
    Subtotal 1,775.00
    Tax 7% 124.25

Total 1,899.25

+ Interest if financing

I'd go Best Buy :D

6. jroller macrumors regular

Let me just note, you absolutely should get AppleCare.

7. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

There is always instant rebates at Best Buy when a printer is purchased with a computer. Again it also being instant. You should also get a nice gift card back from the rewards zone for a purchase like this. Also it seems this offer has already started and just has not been advertised and it continues on until Sept 13th. Started on the 3rd.

OldSkoolNJ

8. Bigsam411 macrumors member

Another thing to take into consideration is that Best Buy offers accidental damage protection on laptops and they cover the battery and power cord on their standard service plan.

So heres the breakdown:
    1yr accidental covers drops and spills only to go along side the 1yr of applecare you get.

2yr and 3yr standard cover what applecare covers plus battery and power cord.

2yr and 3yr accidental protection covers the same stuff as standard but also drops and spills.

You also get $50 off instantly on the regular price of any printer $80 and up, and you could potentially get a discount on most (not all) accessories depending on the store you are at and the amount of stuff you purchase.

9. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Your calculations for Apple is wrong, as you did not factor in their education discounts and promotions:

Macbook $1,199.00 (With Education Discount)
    iPod Touch $299.00
    Mobile Me $99.00
    iWork $79.00
    Printer $99.00
    Tax 7% $124.25

Subtotal $1,899.25

iPod Touch Rebate -$299
    Printer Rebate -$99
    MobileMe Rebate -$30

Total: $1471.25

I believe for Applecare, there is also a $60 discount, which adds to more savings.

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Sorry it was late...But the computer price has the student discount taken into account. I just forgot to take out the rebates from apple.

Then you'd have to add in apple care to both 'final' prices

But it's close enough