Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Anyone have any real world feedback on if this has been a good buy for you?

I normally buy all my content digitally but with getting the Nintendo Switch and the resale value I have been researching on Nintendo titles, I thought about grabbing this.

I figure at 4 games a year it will pay for itself and I can already see 3 or 4 Nintendo games alone I would grab.

Whats the biggest benefit you have seen from it?

Thanks

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
It's been great for me in the past. In addition to 20% off, you get extra credit on trade-ins. The BB Rewards program is pretty decent too. Some games also have $10 rewards certificate bonus on pre-orders.

That said, I'm not renewing my subscription since I am buying digitally nowadays. It's also a less compelling program now since Amazon gives prime members 20% off first two weeks of release.

Reactions: tshrimp

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's been great for me in the past. In addition to 20% off, you get extra credit on trade-ins. The BB Rewards program is pretty decent too. Some games also have $10 rewards certificate bonus on pre-orders.

That said, I'm not renewing my subscription since I am buying digitally nowadays. It's also a less compelling program now since Amazon gives prime members 20% off first two weeks of release.

Digital download is definitely taking over. The other thing I want to add, is that Best Buy has some really good deals on used video games. Actually, they are a little bit cheaper then Gamestop. And if Best Buy has a used video game they have in stock that you want, they will hold it for you for 24 hours if you can't make it there in time to pick it up. That goes along way, if you don't live close to a Best Buy.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Digital download is definitely taking over. The other thing I want to add, is that Best Buy has some really good deals on used video games. Actually, they are a little bit cheaper then Gamestop. And if Best Buy has a used video game they have in stock that you want, they will hold it for you for 24 hours if you can't make it there in time to pick it up. That goes along way, if you don't live close to a Best Buy.

Good info as I keep hearing tidbits regarding the Club and it definitely seems as if it pays for itself pretty quickly in most cases. I am 99% digital right now but will be purchasing most Nintendo games on cartridge for the Switch.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Used games at Best Buy are typically a bit more expensive than at Gamestop. But if you can avoid Gamestop and their shady ways ($600 Switch bundles but no standalone units available), then I would recommend it :)

I'm thinking about the Best Buy Gamers club as well. Since the Switch uses cartridges I plan on going less digital with it than the Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4. I picked up Zelda on cartridge already. But haven't picked up a memory card yet so I'm only on internal memory right now.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I'm thinking about the Best Buy Gamers club as well. Since the Switch uses cartridges I plan on going less digital with it than the Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4. I picked up Zelda on cartridge already. M

Exactly my line of thinking for the Switch and why I'm going to take the plunge. Just been a hectic week and haven't had the time to get over there yet as I want to pick up Zelda and a Pro Controller but it's slim pickings.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Gamers club doesn't give discounts for digital downloads for some reason. Which sucks, since most of my PS4 games are digital, but for 30$ for 2 years is well worth it, even if it is for physical copies.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Gamers club doesn't give discounts for digital downloads for some reason. Which sucks, since most of my PS4 games are digital, but for 30$ for 2 years is well worth it, even if it is for physical copies.

Went to BB today to grab BOTW for Switch and disappointed it takes almost 24 hours to activate even when buying instore so I couldnt get my discount today.

They did state if I went back they would credit me the discount once activated but somewhat of a pain. Other than that, looking forward to the benefits moving forward as its a great price for what you get.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Went to BB today to grab BOTW for Switch and disappointed it takes almost 24 hours to activate even when buying instore so I couldnt get my discount today.

They did state if I went back they would credit me the discount once activated but somewhat of a pain. Other than that, looking forward to the benefits moving forward as its a great price for what you get.
That's odd. I feel like when my mother had signed up for it, we got the discount immediately and saved something like $20 that day. Almost paying for itself before leaving the store.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
That's odd. I feel like when my mother had signed up for it, we got the discount immediately and saved something like $20 that day. Almost paying for itself before leaving the store.

Yea I thought it was a weird business practice as well to have little signs all around the video game area and advertising it yet you cant use it right when you purchase it?

Might be a personnel/training issue.

Reactions: s0nicpr0s

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Anyone have any real world feedback on if this has been a good buy for you?

I normally buy all my content digitally but with getting the Nintendo Switch and the resale value I have been researching on Nintendo titles, I thought about grabbing this.

I figure at 4 games a year it will pay for itself and I can already see 3 or 4 Nintendo games alone I would grab.

Whats the biggest benefit you have seen from it?

Thanks

Also, I believe that GCU is for 2 years, so effectively making this $15/year, so turns out to be a good deal. Has worked out great for me. Also, I have Amazon Prime, and I have had more instances of "oops we didn't get enough to meet preorder" then I have with Best Buy.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
GCU is a no-brainer.
$30 for 2 years ($15 a year) almost pays for its first year on a single game purchase.
As long as you're not upset about physical games, sign up for this.
It applies to amiibo / toys-to-life as well.
There's no timeframe for the discount (like Amazon has).

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
If you’re into physical games even a little, this is the best deal you can get. Unless they’re digital only, this is the way I get them. All $60 games are $47.99 regularly. The 20% even stacks with sales and promotions.

An example I just did the other day. I never played The last of us on PS3 (even though I got it), so I got the PS4 remaster on sale. Regularly $19.99($15.99 GCU) and with the sale it’s $14.99($11.99 GCU).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.